Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the Question s.
Thanks to electricity, candles are no longer a necessity in our lives, but they are still a pleasure. The warm flame of candlelight can quickly alter the mood and atmosphere of a room, often creating a peaceful scene that electric light just cannot match.
Candles are an important part of many cultural and religious festival and have been burnt in various forms for centuries. The ancient Romans and Egyptians made candles from a type of fiber coated with wax. However, up until the nineteenth century, most candles were made from a substance called tallow, obtained from beef fat. Tallow candles were very smoky and, understandably, had an unpleasant odor.
In the 19th century, candle makers learned to separate stearin, the solid form fat used as a type of glue, from tallow and used it to harden other fats. Candles that contained stearin would burn longer than previous ones and had a better smell. Stearin is still one of the main components of modern candle-making, and the techniques used to create candles today are much the same as they have been for many years. These days, the increase range of wax dyes, perfumes and other additives that are now available make candle making a very exciting and rewarding hobby.
Sales of candles have increased greatly over the last few years, showing that they have become part of our lives again, not through necessity, but because of the magical atmosphere they create. In our increasingly stressful lives, the calming quality of candlelight has a relaxing effect that many enjoy.
For those would like to learn to make candles, finding and buying candle-making kits is easy. Candle-making is definitely enhanced by the exciting possibilities of experimentation with various materials. Be brave and try out different effects – some of the most wonderful creations can happen by accident. With a bit of practice, you will be amazed at the very professional finish that can be achieved.
Despite their delicate beauty, candles can, of course, be highly dangerous. One should never leave lit candles unattended, even for a few moments. Always make sure candles are securely placed within candleholders.
Teach your children to respect a burning candle, and of course keep burning candles away from flammable materials. Keep your home safe by remembering that a candle is magical, but fire can be very destructive. Be careful, and enjoy the beauty of your candles!Câu hỏi:
According to the text, what is the importance of candles?
- A. We need them in case there is an electric backout.
- B. We gain a feeling of calm when they are lit in a room.
- C. We light them to create a more romantic atmosphere.
- D. We cannot do without them in our daily lives.
Lời giải tham khảo:
Đáp án đúng: B
Đáp án B
Kiến thức: đọc hiểu
Tạm dịch: Theo đoạn văn, điều quan trọng của nến là gì?
A. Chúng ta cần chúng phòng khi cúp điện.
B. Chúng ta có được cảm giác bình lặng khi chúng được thắp sáng trong một căn phòng.
C. Chúng ta thắp sáng chúng để tạo ra một bầu không khí lãng mạn hơn.
D. Chúng ta không thể làm gì nếu không có chúng trong cuộc sống hàng ngày.
Thông tin: Thanks to electricity, candles are no longer a necessity in our lives, but they are still a pleasure. The warm flame of candlelight can quickly alter the mood and atmosphere of a room, often creating a peaceful scene that electric light just cannot match.ADSENSE
Câu hỏi này thuộc đề thi trắc nghiệm dưới đây, bấm vào Bắt đầu thi để làm toàn bài
Hướng dẫn Trắc nghiệm Online và Tích lũy điểm thưởng
CÂU HỎI KHÁC
- The Dutch are playing the Italian first, and then the Spanish and the Portuguese play.
- So extensive the lakes are that they are viewed as the largest bodies of fresh water in the world.
- Each of the musicians in the orchestra were rehearsing daily before the concert tour began.
- The factory is fined for discharging dangerous chemicals into the river.
- Thanks to her regular workouts and sensible diet she certainly strikes me as in the pink.
- If you are at a loose end this weekend, I will show you around the city.
- The problem is due to discipline, or, more precisely, the lack of discipline, in school.
- On her birthday she had only her cat for company.
- I never thought that I could win a prize.
- The mistake in the accounts was not noticed until the figures were re-checked.
- Mr. Smith is very interested in our plan. I spoke to him on the phone last night.
- The new restaurant looks good. However, it seems to have few customers.
- Her first flight as the captain of a plane was an important _____ in her professional life.
- An inspiring speaker, Reverend Jackson always manages to _____ the best in his congregation.
- The bed-ridden old man objected _____ as a burden on his family.
- We are _____ considering having a swimming pool built as the summers are so long and hot.
- ______ anything, she was unable to help the police.
- Michelle is a(n) _____ worker who always takes great care not to make any mistakes.
- The moment you _____ him, you’ll understand what I’m talking about.
- Why should I throw the milk away? It _____.
- Mike has quickly established himself _____ the National Football League’s most valued players.
- Why did you waste your money on going to see that movie?” I know. It’s the ____ film I’ve ever seen.”
- Danielle would still be our best defender _____ an accident.
- ____ are poised to change the face of the construction industry in the coming year.
- She is an excellent actress!” You _____ again!”
- Do you know who else is going to be running for governor?” _____ that Mr. Jones is planning to.”
- What is the main concern associated with technological advances in the workplace?
- What do optimists predict technology will allow?
- What can be inferred from the comments made by Bill Gates?
- Why is the example of the Industrial Revolution given?
- What is the modern-day view of the Luddites?
- Which of the following is closest in meaning to crux in paragraph 4?
- According to the article, which quality will technology never be able to replace?
- What is the main idea of this article?
- According to the text, what is the importance of candles?
- Why dose the writer mention ancient Romans and Egyptians in the text?
- Why was stearin used in candles?
- According to the text, what dose the increase of candle sales illustrate?
- According to the text, what is needed to succeed at candle-making?
- What dose the passage warn readers not to do?
- Which of the following best expresses the main idea of this passage?