Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions.
The end of the nineteenth century and the early years of the twentieth century were marked by the development of an international Art Nouveau style, characterized by sinuous lines, floral and vegetable motifs, and soft evanescent coloration. The Art Nouveau style was an eclectic one, bringing together elements of Japanese art, motifs of ancient cultures, and natural forms. The glass objects of this style were elegant in outline, although often deliberately distorted, with pale or iridescent surfaces. A favored device of the style was to imitate the iridescent surface seen on ancient glass that had been buried. Much of the Art Nouveau glass produced during the years of its greatest popularity had been generically termed “art glass.” Art glass was intended for decorative purposes and relied for its effect on carefully chosen color combinations and innovative techniques.
France produced a number of outstanding exponents of the Art Nouveau style; among the most celebrated was Emile Galle (1846–1904). In the United States, Louis Comfort Tiffany (1843–1933) was the most noted exponent of this style, producing a great variety of glass forms and surfaces, which were widely copied in their time and are highly prized today. Tiffany was a brilliant designer, successfully combining ancient Egyptian, Japanese, and Persian motifs.
The Art Nouveau style was a major force in the decorative arts from 1895 until 1915, although its influence continued throughout the mid–1920’s.It was eventually to be overtaken by a new school of thought known as Functionalism that had been present since the turn of the century. At first restricted to a small avant–garde group of architects and designers, Functionalism emerged as the dominant influence upon designers after the First World War. The basic tenet of the movement–that function should determine form–was not a new concept. Soon a distinct aesthetic code evolved: from should be simple, surfaces plain, and any ornament should be based on geometric relationships. This new design concept, coupled with the sharp postwar reactions to the styles and conventions of the preceding decades, created an entirely new public taste which caused Art Nouveau types of glass to fall out of favor. The new taste demanded dramatic effects of contrast, stark outline and complex textural surfaces.Câu hỏi:
What does paragraph 1 mainly discuss?
- A. Design elements in the Art Nouveau style
- B. The popularity of the Art Nouveau style
- C. Production techniques for art glass
- D. Color combinations typical of the Art Nouveau style
Lời giải tham khảo:
Đáp án đúng: B
Đáp án B
Kiến thức: Đọc hiểu
Đoạn 1 chủ yếu thảo luận về điều gì?
A. Các yếu tố thiết kế theo phong cách Art Nouveau
B. Sự phổ biến của phong cách Art Nouveau
C. Kỹ thuật sản xuất kính nghệ thuật
D. Kết hợp màu sắc điển hình của phong cách Art Nouveau
Thông tin: The end of the nineteenth century and the early years of the twentieth century were marked by the development of an international Art Nouveau styleADSENSE
Câu hỏi này thuộc đề thi trắc nghiệm dưới đây, bấm vào Bắt đầu thi để làm toàn bài
Hướng dẫn Trắc nghiệm Online và Tích lũy điểm thưởng
CÂU HỎI KHÁC
- Ha Long Bay, the global heritage recognized twice by the UNESCO, remains one of the country’s top attractions.
- 'What a novel idea for the farewell party” said Nam to the monitor.
- We should have our school’s swimming pool cleaned before the summer begins because it is looking dirty.
- When two people get married, it is with the assumption that their feelings for each other are immutable and will never alter.
- That the genetic differences make one race superior to another is nothing but a tall story.
- Golf wear has become a very lucrative business for both the manufacturers and golf stars.
- Unless you get your information from a credible website, you should doubt the veracity of the facts until you have confirmed them else where.
- What does paragraph 1 mainly discuss?
- The word 'one” refers to______.
- Para.1 mentions that Art Nouveau glass was sometimes similar to which aspect of ancient buried glass______.
- The word 'overtaken” in line 19 is closest in meaning to______.
- What does the author mean by stating that 'function should determine form”?
- It can be inferred from the passage that one reason Functionalism became popular was that it______.
- Paragraph 3 supports which of the following statements about Functionalism?
- According to the passage, an object made in the Art Nouveau style would most likely include ______.
- Ensoleill and Sunny are talking about Ted’s accident last week.Ensoleill: A motor bike knocked Ted down”. Sunny: ____________”
- Mary and her friend, Ensoleill, are in a coffee shop. Mary: Would you like Matcha ice–cream or Caramen with jam?” Ensoleill: ______________”.
- High–level sport people must maintain a high level of fitness ______ run the risk of suffering injuries that cause permanent damage.
- Many students prefer ______ assessment as an alternative to exams.
- British Leyland is aiming to push ______ its share of UK car sale to 25% over the next two years.
- The press thought the sale manager would be depressed by his dismissal but he just ______.
- Just as you arrived, I ______ ready to go out.
- Your sister has lost an awful lot of weight. She must have been on a diet, ______?
- You should accept the Nokia mobile phone as a 16–birthday present from your parents delightedly. Don’t ______.
- ______ irritating they are, you shouldn’t lose temper with small children.
- There are ______ that not only governments but also individuals should join hand to tackle.
- If I weren’t afraid of travelling by air, I ______ to go to American by ship, which took me much longer time.
- He built up a successful business but it was all done ______ of his health.
- ______ is over your head is just an exaggeration because you have well prepared for it over the years.
- It is unclear which agency will be responsible for cleaning the canal if it will become polluted again in the near future.
- Perfume tends to be lost its flavor when it has not been properly sealed.
- Water environment in the world–renowned Ha Long bay has been under tremendous pressure from the socio–economic activities in the area.
- Compared to preindustrial times, the number of hours in the workweek in the nineteenth century______.
- The 'idea' mentioned in line 15 refers to ____________.
- Which of the following is mentioned as one of the purposes of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938?
- What is one reason for the change in the length of the workweek for the average worker in the United States during the 1930s?
- What does the passage mainly discuss?
- The word 'henceforth' in line 13 is closest in meaning to
- Which of the following is NOT mentioned as evidence that the length of the workweek has been declining since the nineteenth century?
- I accepted the new job after all. It is making me feel exhausted.
- Since 1970, the United Nations has been celebrating April 22nd as Earth Day.