Read the passage below and choose one correct answer for each question:
Insects' lives are very short and they have many enemies, but they must survive long enough to breed and perpetuate their kind. The less insect-like they look, the better their chance of survival. To look "inedible" by resembling or imitating plants is a deception widely practiced by insects. Mammals rarely use this type of camouflage, but many fish and invertebrates do.
The stick caterpillar is well named. It is hardly distinguishable from a brown or green twig. This caterpillar is quite common and can be found almost anywhere in North America. It is also called "measuring worm" or "inchworm." It walks by arching its body, than stretching out and grasping the branch with its front feet then looping its body again to bring the hind feet forward. When danger threatens, the stick caterpillar stretches its body away from the branch at an angle and remains rigid and still, like a twig, until the danger has passed.
Walking sticks, or stick insects, do not have to assume a rigid, twig-like pose to find protection; they look like inedible twigs in any position. There are many kinds of walking sticks, ranging in size form the few inches of the North American variety to some tropical species that may be over a foot long. When at rest their front legs are stretched out. heightening their camouflage. Some of the tropical species are adorned with spines or ridges. imitating the thorny bushes or trees in which they live.
Leaves also seem to be a favorite object for insects to imitate. Many butterflies can suddenly disappear from view by folding their wings and sitting quietly among the foliage that they resemble.Câu hỏi:
What is the main subject of the passage?
- A. Caterpillars that live in trees
- B. How some insects camouflage themselves
- C. The feeding habits of insects
- D. Insects that are threatened with extinction
Lời giải tham khảo:
Đáp án đúng: BADSENSE
Câu hỏi này thuộc đề thi trắc nghiệm dưới đây, bấm vào Bắt đầu thi để làm toàn bài
Hướng dẫn Trắc nghiệm Online và Tích lũy điểm thưởng
CÂU HỎI KHÁC
- It is important to note that such a happy marriage does not come about by accident, but it had
- The human brain is often compared to a computer, and such an analogy can be misleading.
- He decided not to buy the fake watch and wait until he had more money.
- His achievements were partly due to the _____ of his wife.
- Some people are concerned with physical ………… when choosing a wife or husband.
- If we had taken his sage advice, we wouldn’t be in so much trouble now.
- Our consultant ……… the results of her advice by the end of this week.
- You are not _______ to say anything unless you wish to do so.
- _____________, but now he’s made a complete recovery.
- Billy, come and (give me a hand) = ____ with cooking.
- Looking _______ three children all day is a hard work.
- Some of my classmates wanted to know ________________
- The week of exams left Miranda exhausted, and she’s still rather ___________
- It was ……….. of you to leave the medicine where the children could get it.
- ____________ allow some students from less affluent families to attend college.
- I think you should have your house__________ for the new year.
- The last time I went to the museum was a year ago.
- Most doctors and nurses have to work on a _______ once or twice a week at the hospital.
- Each term is _________ by a one-week break called half term.
- They asked me how long did it take to get to Paris by train.
- Jennifer asked me _______ the week before.
- So much progress ___________ that there may be space-flights to Mars.
- I ______ for her two hours, but she _______ yet.
- The visitors were complaining _____________ in the rain.
- – You look great in this new dress.– ________.
- People in our community no longer smoke as much as they used to.
- Lan suggested going out for dinner.
- She never looks ______ anyone who she is talking ______. She seems to be lack ______ confidence.
- – How well you are playing!–________.
- He had never experienced such (discourtesy) = _____ towards the president as it occurred at the annual meeting in May.
- In order to ____________ with his studies he worked through the summer.
- What is the main subject of the passage?
- In lines I and 4, the word 'enemies' refers to______.
- According to the passage, how does the stick caterpillar make itself look like a twig?
- Which of the following is true of stick insects?
- Which of the following are NOT mentioned in the passage as objects that are imitated as a means of protection?