Câu hỏi trắc nghiệm (50 câu):
Câu 1: Mã câu hỏi: 38523
Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the sentence that best completes each of following exchanges.
Silas is talking to his roommate, Salah, about the Olympic Games.
- Silas: “Do you think our country can host the Olympic Games some day in the future?”
- Salah: “_________. We can’t afford such a big event.”
- A. You can say that again.
- B. I can’t agree with you more.
- C. Yes, you’re right.
- D. No, I don’t think so
Câu 2: Mã câu hỏi: 38524
Laura is telling Bob about her exam results.
- Laura: “_________”
- Bob: “That’s great. Congratulation!”
- A. I hope I’ll pass the exam tomorrow.
- B. I’ve passed the exam with an A.
- C. I’ll get the exam results tomorrow.
- D. I didn’t do well in the exam.
Câu 3: Mã câu hỏi: 38525
Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word(s) CLOSEST in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
Thanks to highly sophisticated technology, scientists have made many important discoveries in different fields.
- A. accessible
- B. confusing
- C. effective
- D. advanced
Câu 4: Mã câu hỏi: 38526
It is firmly believed that books are a primary means for disseminating knowledge and information.
- A. classifying
- B. distributing
- C. adopting
- D. inventing
Câu 5: Mã câu hỏi: 38529
Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word(s) OPPOSITE in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
With price increases on most necessities, many people have to tighten their belt for fear or getting into financial difficulties.
- A. dress in loose clothes
- B. spend money freely
- C. save on daily expenses
- D. put on tighter belts
Câu 6: Mã câu hỏi: 38530
Today the number of start-ups in Vietnam is mounting as the government has created favourable conditions for them to develop their business.
- A. peaking
- B. varying
- C. decreasing
- D. rising
Câu 7: Mã câu hỏi: 38531
Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word whose underlined part differs form the other three in pronunciation in each of the following questions.
- A. delays
- B. begins
- C. attracts
- D. believes
Câu 8: Mã câu hỏi: 38532
- A. head
- B. bean
- C. meal
- D. team
Câu 9: Mã câu hỏi: 38533
Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word that differs form the other three in the position of primary stress in each of the following questions.
- A. sympathy
- B. poverty
- C. equipment
- D. character
Câu 10: Mã câu hỏi: 38534
- A. intend
- B. install
- C. follow
- D. decide
Câu 11: Mã câu hỏi: 38535
Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
It __________ to reason that Jason passed the exam with flying colours on account of his working hard during the term.
- A. comes
- B. gets
- C. stands
- D. lays
Câu 12: Mã câu hỏi: 38536
Our father suggested ______ to Da Nang for this summer holiday.
- A. to going
- B. going
- C. go
- D. to go
Câu 13: Mã câu hỏi: 38538
The patients _________ with the new drud showed better signs of recovery than those receiving conventional medicine.
- A. treated
- B. having treated
- C. treating
- D. who treated
Câu 14: Mã câu hỏi: 38540
Only after she _______ from a severe illness did she realise the importance of the good.
- A. would recover
- B. has recovered
- C. had recovered
- D. was recovering
Câu 15: Mã câu hỏi: 38541
Several measures have been proposed to _________ the problem of unemployment among university graduates.
- A. pose
- B. admit
- C. address
- D. create
Câu 16: Mã câu hỏi: 38542
There is no excuse for your late submission! You ______ the report by last Friday.
- A. mightn’t have finished
- B. should have finished
- C. needn’t have finished
- D. must have finished
Câu 17: Mã câu hỏi: 38543
The presenter started his speech with a few _______ jokes to build rapport with the audience.
- A. whole-hearted
- B. light-hearted
- C. soft-hearted
- D. kind-hearted
Câu 18: Mã câu hỏi: 38544
It is advisable that the aprrentice should be _________ to learn the ins and outs of the new jobs.
- A. permissive
- B. noticeable
- C. acceptable
- D. observant
Câu 19: Mã câu hỏi: 38546
Mary rarely uses social networks, __________ ?
- A. isn’t she
- B. does she
- C. doesn’t she
- D. is she
Câu 20: Mã câu hỏi: 38548
Candidates are advised to dress formally to make good ______ on job interviewers.
- A. impress
- B. impressively
- C. impression
- D. impressive
Câu 21: Mã câu hỏi: 38549
If Martin were here now, he ________ us to solve this difficult problem.
- A. would help
- B. helps
- C. will help
- D. has helped
Câu 22: Mã câu hỏi: 38550
You shouldn’t lose heart; success often comes to those who are not ______ by failures.
- A. left out
- B. put off
- C. switched off
- D. turned on
Câu 23: Mã câu hỏi: 38551
Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the underlined part that need correction in each of the following questions.
It concerns many sociologists that inadequate parents skills may lead to an increase in the number of incidents of juvenile delinquency.
- A. concerns
- B. parents skills
- C. incidents
- D. juvenile delinquency
Câu 24: Mã câu hỏi: 38552
It is the ASEAN Para Games that disabled athletes have an opportunity to have their talents and efforts recognised.
- A. the ASEAN Para Games
- B. disabled
- C. an opportunity
- D. recognised
Câu 25: Mã câu hỏi: 38553
Teenagers is greatly influenced by not only their parents but also their peers.
- A. is
- B. by
- C. parents
- D. peers
Câu 26: Mã câu hỏi: 38555
Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the sentence that is closest in meaning to each of the following questions.
I find it useful to join the sports club.
- A. Joining the sports club is not useful for me.
- B. It is useful for me to join the sports club.
- C. I used to join the sports club.
- D. I never like joining the sports club.
Câu 27: Mã câu hỏi: 38556
It it believed that modern farming methods have greatly improved farmers’ lives.
- A. Farmers are believed to have enjoyed a much better life thanks to modern farming methods.
- B. Modern farming methods were believed to have greatly improved farmers’ lives.
- C. Modern farming methods are believed to have had negative effects on farmers’ lives.
- D. People believe that there is little improvement in farmers’ lives thanks to modern farming methods.
Câu 28: Mã câu hỏi: 38560
"Would you like to go to the show with me?" Anna said to Bella.
- A. Anna reminded Bella to go to the show with her.
- B. Anna persuaded Bella to go to the show with her.
- C. Anna encouraged Bella to go to the show with her.
- D. Anna invited Bella to go to the show with her.
Câu 29: Mã câu hỏi: 38561
Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the sentence that best combines each pair of sentences in the following questions.
Mary left home to start an independent life. She realised how much her family meant to her.
- A. Only when Mary realised how much her family meant to her did she leave home to start an independent life.
- B. To realise how much her family meant to her, Mary decided to leave home to start an independent life.
- C. Not until Mary had left home to start an independent life did she realise how much her family meant to her.
- D. Mary left home to start an independent life with a view to realising how much her family meant to her.
Câu 30: Mã câu hỏi: 38562
Kate completed her higher education. She then decided to travel the world before getting a job.
- A. Without completing her higher education, Kate decided to travel the world before getting a job.
- B. Given that Kate decided to travel the world before getting a job, she completed her higher education.
- C. Having completed her higher education, Kate decided to travel the world before getting a job.
- D. Kate had scarcely travelled the world before getting a job when she completed her higher education.
Câu 31: Mã câu hỏi: 38565
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct word or phrase that best fits each of the numbered blanks from 31 to 35.
Urban development is having a direct impact on the weather in many cities worldwide. It has been noticed that the difference (31) ________ temperature is usually greater at night and the phenomenon occurs in both winter and summer. Experts agree that this is due to urban development, when open green spaces are replaced with asphalt roads and tall brick or concrete buildings. These materials retain heat generated by the Sun and release it through the night. In Atlanta, in the US, this has even led to thunderstorms (32) ________ occur in the morning rather than, as is more common, in the afternoon.
Large cities around the world are adopting strategies to combat this issue (33) ______ it is not uncommon to find plants growing on top of roofs or down the walls of large buildings. In Singapore, the government has (34) ________ to transform it into a “city within a garden” and, in 2006, they held an international competition calling for entries to develop a master plan to help bring this about. One outcome was the creation of 18 “Supertrees” – metal constructions resembling very tall trees. Each one is a vertical freestanding garden and is (35) ______ to exotic plants and ferns. They also contain solar panels used to light the trees at night and also containers to collect rainwater, making them truly self-sufficient.
(Adapt from “The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS”)
- A. on
- B. with
- C. in
- D. out
Câu 32: Mã câu hỏi: 38567
- A. when
- B. which
- C. what
- D. where
Câu 33: Mã câu hỏi: 38568
- A. or
- B. for
- C. and
- D. but
Câu 34: Mã câu hỏi: 38573
- A. pledged
- B. committed
- C. confessed
- D. required
Câu 35: Mã câu hỏi: 38577
- A. home
- B. house
- C. land
- D. place
Câu 36: Mã câu hỏi: 38579
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions from 36 to 42.
A letter of application is a sales letter in which you are both salesperson and product, for the purpose of an application is to attract an employer’s attention and persuade him or her to grant you an interview. To do this, the letter presents what you can offer the employer, rather than what you want from the job.
Like a résumé, the letter of application is a sample of your work and an opportunity to demonstrate your skills and personality. If it is writen with flair and understanding and prepared with professional care, it is likely to be very effective. While the résumé must be factual, objective, and brief, the letter is your chance to interpret and expand. It should state explicitly how your background relates to the specific job, and it should emphasise your strongest and most relevant characteristics. The letter should demonstrate that you know both yourself and the company.
The letter of application must communicate your ambition and enthusiasm. Yet it must be modest. It should be neither aggressive nor compliant: neither pat yourself on the back nor ask for sympathy. It should never express dissatisfaction with the present or former job and emplyer. And you should avoid discussing your reasons for leaving your last job.
Finally, it is best that you not broach the subject on salary. Indeed, even if a job advertisement requires that you mention your salary requirements, it is advisable simply to call them “negotiable”. However, when you go an interview, you should be prepared to mention a salary range. For this reason, you should investigate both your field, and if possible, the particular company. You don’t want to ask for less than you deserve or more than is reasonable.
(Adapted from “Select Readings – Intermediate”)
What is the passage mainly about?
- A. Advice on how to find a good job.
- B. Things to avoid during a job interview
- C. Tips for writing an effective letter of application
- D. Difference between a résumé and a letter of application
Câu 37: Mã câu hỏi: 38580
According to paragraph 1, in a letter of application, the applicant tries to __________.
- A. persuade the employer to grant him/her an interview
- B. get further information about the company
- C. advertise a product to attract more customers
- D. present what he/she wants from the job
Câu 38: Mã câu hỏi: 38582
The word “it” in paragraph 2 refers to ___________
- A. the letter of application
- B. an opportunity
- C. your work
- D. the résumé
Câu 39: Mã câu hỏi: 38583
The word “explicitly” in paragraph 2 is closest in meaning to _________
- A. clearly
- B. shortly
- C. slightly
- D. quickly
Câu 40: Mã câu hỏi: 38585
According to the passage, which of the following is TRUE about a letter of application?
- A. It should express the applicant’s dissatisfaction with his/her former employer.
- B. It should refer to the applicant’s reasons for leaving his/her previous job.
- C. It should be written very briefly, but in a formal style.
- D. It should expand upon the information contained in the applicant’s résumé.
Câu 41: Mã câu hỏi: 38587
The word “broach” in paragraph 4 is closest in meaning to _________
- A. avoid
- B. investigate
- C. introduce
- D. understand
Câu 42: Mã câu hỏi: 38588
According to paragraph4, in a job interview, the applicant should be ready to _________.
- A. accept any salary offered
- B. negotiate working conditions
- C. mention their expected salary range
- D. talk about the company’s budget
Câu 43: Mã câu hỏi: 38589
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions from 43 to 50.
Henry is the undisputed star of Dronfield School near Sheffield. Whatever the achievements of other members of the comprehensive school, it is Henry, with his soulful eyes and glossy hair, who has hogged the limelight, appearing on television in Britain and abroad. Yet despite all the public adulation, Henry stirs up no envy or resentment among 2000 students – in fact, they all adore him. The dog, who first arrived six months ago, is a super dog, who has improved students’ behaviour and encouraged more students to focus on their academic achievement.
Adrew Wainwright, a student at Dronfield School, says there is something magical and calming about being able to interact with Henry during his time at the school’s catch-up classes, and that if he falls behind, that opportunity will be denied. Even doubting staff have finally been won round. Perhaps that is because Henry, who lies on the floor during staff meetings, has also had a calming effect on them.
It was Andrew’s teacher, Wendy Brown and the school counsellor, Julie Smart, who first proposed buying a school dog. “Julie and I were talking one day about how looking after dogs can positively affect children’s conduct,” say Brown. “We did some research and discovered that the presence of pets has been shown to be therapeutic. A number of studies have shown that animals improve recovery after surgery or illness and have a calming influence on people in a lot of settings. Some of my kids can be a handful and some of the children Julie coursels have terrible problems.”
Could the school dog become a craze? Other schools such as the Mulberry Bush, a primary school for children with behavioural problems, have stepped forward to point out they already have one. Rosie Johnston, a Mulberry staff member has been bringing her golden retriever, Muskoka, into school for three years. Apart from being a calming influence, Muskoka even plays his part in literacy lessons. Children at the school can be too shy to read to adults so they read to Muskoka. “Their anxiety about mispronouncing something or getting the words in the wrong oder is reduced when they read to him,” says Johnston.
Psychologist Dr Deborad Wells from Queen’s University Belfast specialises in animal-human interaction. She believes that underlying key to the Henry effect is that dogs offer unconditional loeve and that cheers up adults and children and helps with self-esteem. But traditionalist Chris Woodhead, the former chief inspector of schools says. “I don’t see why a teacher cannot create a positive learning environment through the subject they teach and their personality. Dogs strike me as a bit of a publicity stunt. It’s kind of sentimetal story journalists love.” Despite this sentiment, Henry remains as popular as ever.
Which of the followinng best serves as the title for the passage?
- A. Having School Dogs: Pros and Cons
- B. Henry – a Super Dog in Dronfield School
- C. School Dogs: Useful Classroom Assistants
- D. Keeping School Dogs –a Prevalent Trend
Câu 44: Mã câu hỏi: 38590
The word “adulation” in paragraph 1 is closest in meaning to _________.
- A. excessive admiration
- B. deserved attention
- C. considerable controversy
- D. unrealistic expectation
Câu 45: Mã câu hỏi: 38591
The phrase “a handful” in paragraph 3 is probably descriptive of a child who is _____.
- A. difficult to control
- B. reluctant to explore
- C. inclined to disagree
- D. impossible to understand
Câu 46: Mã câu hỏi: 38592
Which of the following is mentioned in paragraph 3 as a potential impact of keeping a pet?
- A. A stronger tendency to misbehave
- B. Better recovery from illness
- C. A greater desire to influence others
- D. Long-term changes in conduct
Câu 47: Mã câu hỏi: 38593
The word “one” in paragraph 4 refers to ________
- A. a school dog
- B. a craze
- C. a Mulberry staff member
- D. a primary school
Câu 48: Mã câu hỏi: 38594
According to paragraph 4, which of the following is one of the roles played by Muskoka at the Mulberry Bush?
- A. Minimising the number of words mispronounced by its students
- B. Helping its students to reduce their fear of making mistakes
- C. Relieving its teaching staff of unnecessary workload
- D. Encouraging a more proactive approach to teaching literacy
Câu 49: Mã câu hỏi: 38595
Which of the following best summaries Chris Woodhead’s viewpoint in paragraph 5?
- A. Teachers underestimate the role of the dogs in literacy lessons.
- B. Schools have dogs just to attract media attention.
- C. Students and dogs are inseparable companions in the classroom setting.
- D. Dogs are capable of enlivening classroom atmosphere
Câu 50: Mã câu hỏi: 38596
Which of the following is implied in the passage?
- A. Rosie Johnston is more experienced than Wendy Brown in working with animals.
- B. Interaction with Henry is used to boost students’ learning motivation at Dronfied School.
- C. Administrators at Dronfield School are sceptical as to whether Henry’s companion will benefit their students.
- D. Wendy Brown and Julie Smart are dedicated animal rights activists who wish to get their message across to young people.