Câu hỏi trắc nghiệm (50 câu):
Câu 1: Mã câu hỏi: 24461
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word that differs from the other three in the position of primary stress in each of the following questions.
- A. legal
- B. diverse
- C. polite
- D. complete
Câu 2: Mã câu hỏi: 24462
- A. interview
- B. compliment
- C. sacrifice
- D. represent
Câu 3: Mã câu hỏi: 24463
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word whose underlined part differs from the other three in pronunciation in each of the following questions.
- A. mood
- B. flood
- C. spoon
- D. moon
Câu 4: Mã câu hỏi: 24464
- A. listens
- B. reviews
- C. protects
- D. enjoys
Câu 5: Mã câu hỏi: 24465
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
If he were younger, he a professional running competition now.
- A. will join
- B. had joined
- C. would have joined
- D. would join
Câu 6: Mã câu hỏi: 24466
The children________to bed before their parents came home from work.
- A. were all going
- B. had all gone
- C. had all been going
- D. have all gone
Câu 7: Mã câu hỏi: 24467
Linda refused_________in the musical performance because she was sick.
- A. to participate
- B. participate
- C. participating
- D. to participating
Câu 8: Mã câu hỏi: 24468
There has been little rain in this area for months, _________?
- A. has it
- B. has there
- C. hasn’t it
- D. hasn’t there
Câu 9: Mã câu hỏi: 24469
David was deported on account of his expired visa. He it renewed.
- A. must have had
- B. should have had
- C. needn’t have had
- D. mightn’t have had
Câu 10: Mã câu hỏi: 24470
The proposal _________ by the environmentalists to grow more trees has received approval from the council.
- A. which suggested
- B. be suggested
- C. suggested
- D. was suggested
Câu 11: Mã câu hỏi: 24471
Project-based learning provides wonderful opportunities for students to develop their _________.
- A. creative
- B. creativity
- C. create
- D. creatively
Câu 12: Mã câu hỏi: 24472
Violent films may have a negative on children.
- A. opinion
- B. influence
- C. dependence
- D. decision
Câu 13: Mã câu hỏi: 24473
A good leader should not be conservative, but rather to new ideas.
- A. receptive
- B. acceptable
- C. permissive
- D. applicable
Câu 14: Mã câu hỏi: 24474
_________ individuals are those who share the same hobbies, interests, or points of view.
- A. Light-hearted
- B. Like-minded
- C. Even-handed
- D. Open-minded
Câu 15: Mã câu hỏi: 24475
The child has no problem reciting the poem; he has ________ it to memory.
- A. devoted
- B. added
- C. committed
- D. admitted
Câu 16: Mã câu hỏi: 24476
After several injuries and failures, things have eventually for Todd when he reached the final round of the tournament.
- A. looked up
- B. gone on
- C. taken up
- D. turned on
Câu 17: Mã câu hỏi: 24477
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word(s) CLOSEST in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
The first few days at university can be very (daunting), but with determination and positive attitude, freshmen will soon fit in with the new environment.
- A. interesting
- B. memorable
- C. serious
- D. depressing
Câu 18: Mã câu hỏi: 24478
Deforestation may seriously (jeopardize) the habitat of many species in the local area.
- A. do harm to
- B. set fire to
- C. give rise to
- D. make way for
Câu 19: Mã câu hỏi: 24479
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word(s) OPPOSITE in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
In this writing test, candidates will not be (penalized) for minor mechanical mistakes.
- A. punished
- B. rewarded
- C. motivated
- D. discouraged
Câu 20: Mã câu hỏi: 24480
After their long-standing conflict had been resolved, the two families decided to (bury the hatchet.)
- A. become enemies
- B. become friends
- C. give up weapons
- D. reach an agreement
Câu 21: Mã câu hỏi: 24481
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the sentence that best completes each of the following exchanges.
John and Mary are talking about what to do after class.
John: “ ”
Mary: “Yes, I’d love to.”
- A. Do you often have time for a drink after class?
- B. Would you like to have a drink after class?
- C. Do you often go out for a drink after class?
- D. Would you like tea or coffee after class?
Câu 22: Mã câu hỏi: 24482
Paul and Daisy are discussing life in the future.
Paul: “I believe space travel will become more affordable for many people in the future.”
Daisy: “ ”
- A. It doesn’t matter at all.
- B. There’s no doubt about that.
- C. It is very kind of you to say so.
- D. I am sorry to hear that.
Câu 23: Mã câu hỏi: 24483
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct word or phrase that best fits each of the numbered blanks from 23 to 27.
Psychologists have long known that having a set of cherished companions is crucial to mental well-being. A recent study by Australian investigators concluded that our friends even help to (23)______ our lives. The studyconcentrated (24) the social environment, general health, and lifestyle of 1,477 persons older than 70 years. The participants were asked how much contact they had with friends, children, relatives and acquaintances.
Researchers were surprised to learn that friendships increased life (25) to a far greater extent than frequent contact with children and other relatives. This benefit held true even after these friends had moved away to another city and was independent of factors such as socioeconomic status, health, and way of life. According to scientists, the ability to have relationships with people to (26)_______ one is important has a positive effect on physical and mental health.
Stress and tendency towards depression are reduced, and behaviours that are damaging to health, such as smoking and drinking, occur less frequently. (27) , our support networks, in times of calamity in particular, can raise our moods and feelings of self-worth and offer helpful strategies for dealing with difficult personal challenges.
(Source: Academic Vocabulary in Use by Michael McCarthy and Felicity O’Dell)
- A. prolong
- B. lengthen
- C. stretch
- D. expand
Câu 24: Mã câu hỏi: 24484
- A. in
- B. with
- C. on
- D. at
Câu 25: Mã câu hỏi: 24485
- A. expectation
- B. insurance
- C. expectancy
- D. assurance
Câu 26: Mã câu hỏi: 24486
- A. who
- B. whom
- C. what
- D. that
Câu 27: Mã câu hỏi: 24487
- A. Otherwise
- B. For example
- C. Moreover
- D. However
Câu 28: Mã câu hỏi: 24488
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions from 28 to 34.
We get great pleasure from reading. The more advanced a man is, the greater delight he will find in reading. The ordinary man may think that subjects like philosophy or science are very difficult and that if philosophers and scientists read these subjects, it is not for pleasure. But this is not true. The mathematician finds the same pleasure in his mathematics as the school boy in an adventure story. For both, it is a play of the imagination, a mental recreation and exercise.
The pleasure derived from this activity is common to all kinds of reading. But different types of books give us different types of pleasure. First in order of popularity is novel-reading. Novels contain pictures of imaginary people in imaginary situations, and give us an opportunity of escaping into a new world very much like our world and yet different from it. Here we seem to live a new life, and the experience of this new life gives us a thrill of pleasure.
Next in order of popularity are travel books, biographies and memoirs. These tell us tales of places we have not seen and of great men in whom we are interested. Some of these books are as wonderful as novels, and they have an added value that they are true. Such books give us knowledge, and we also find immense pleasure in knowing details of lands we have not seen and of great men we have only heard of.
Reading is one of the greatest enjoyments of life. To book-lovers, nothing is more fascinating than a favorite book. And, the ordinary educated man who is interested and absorbed in his daily occupation wants to occasionally escape from his drudgery into the wonderland of books for recreation and refreshment.
What does the passage mainly discuss?
- A. Different types of books
- B. Reading as an exercise for the brain
- C. Different kinds of reading
- D. Reading as a pleasurable activity
Câu 29: Mã câu hỏi: 24489
According to paragraph 1, which of the following is NOT true?
- A. Ordinary people may think that philosophy and science are difficult.
- B. Reading about mathematics is mentally entertaining for a mathematician.
- C. Philosophers and scientists do not read for pleasure.
- D. A more advanced person takes greater pleasure in reading.
Câu 30: Mã câu hỏi: 24490
The word “derived” in paragraph 2 is closest in meaning to .
- A. differed
- B. established
- C. bought
- D. obtained
Câu 31: Mã câu hỏi: 24491
The word “it” in paragraph 2 refers to .
- A. a new life
- B. our world
- C. an opportunity
- D. a thrill of pleasure
Câu 32: Mã câu hỏi: 24492
The word “immense” in paragraph 3 is closest in meaning to _________.
- A. great
- B. limited
- C. personal
- D. controlled
Câu 33: Mã câu hỏi: 24493
According to the passage, travel books, biographies and memoirs ________.
- A. are wonderful novels
- B. tell stories of well-known places
- C. are less popular than novels
- D. are more valuable than novels
Câu 34: Mã câu hỏi: 24494
According to paragraph 4, which of the following is the most fascinating to booklovers?
- A. A daily occupation
- B. An ordinary educated man
- C. The wonderland
- D. A favorite book
Câu 35: Mã câu hỏi: 24495
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions from 35 to 42.
The system of higher education had its origin in Europe in the Middle Ages, when the first universities were established. In modern times, the nature of higher education around the world, to some extent, has been determined by the models of influential countries such as France and Germany.
Both France and Germany have systems of higher education that are basically administered by state agencies. Entrance requirements for students are also similar in both countries. In France, an examination called the baccalauréat is given at the end of secondary education. Higher education in France is free and open to all students who have passed this baccalauréat. Success in this examination allows students to continue their higher education for another three or four years until they have attained the first university degree called a licence in France.
Basic differences, however, distinguish these two countries’ systems. French educational districts, called académies, are under the direction of a rector, an appointee of the national government who is also in charge of universities in each district. The uniformity in curriculum throughout the country leaves each university with little to distinguish itself. Hence, many students prefer to go to Paris, where there are better accommodations and more cultural amenities for them. Another difference is the existence in France of prestigious higher educational institutions known as grandes écoles, which provide advanced professional and technical training. Most of these schools are not affiliated with the universities, although they too recruit their students by giving competitive examinations to candidates. The grandes écoles provide rigorous training in all branches of applied science and technology, and their diplomas have a somewhat higher standing than the ordinary licence.
In Germany, the regional universities have autonomy in determining their curriculum under the direction of rectors elected from within. Students in Germany change universities according to their interests and the strengths of each university. In fact, it is a custom for students to attend two, three, or even four different universities in the course of their undergraduate studies, and the majority of professors at a particular university may have taught in four or five others. This high degree of mobility means that schemes of study and examination are marked by a freedom and individuality unknown in France.
France and Germany have greatly influenced higher education systems around the world. The French, either through colonial influence or the work of missionaries, introduced many aspects of their system in other countries. The German were the first to stress the importance of universities as research facilities, and they also created a sense of them as emblems of a national mind.
What does the passage mainly discuss?
- A. The nature of education around the world in modern times
- B. Systems of higher education in France and Germany
- C. The origin of higher education system in Europe
- D. The influence of France and Germany on educational systems of other countries
Câu 36: Mã câu hỏi: 24496
The word “uniformity” in paragraph 3 is closest in meaning to _________
- A. proximity
- B. discrepancy
- C. similarity
- D. uniqueness
Câu 37: Mã câu hỏi: 24497
The word “their” in paragraph 3 refers to .
- A. schools
- B. universities
- C. examinations
- D. branches
Câu 38: Mã câu hỏi: 24498
Which of the following about grandes écoles in France is NOT stated in paragraph 3?
- A. Most of them have no connection with universities.
- B. They have a reputation for advanced professional and technical training.
- C. Their degrees are better recognized than those provided by universities.
- D. They offer better accommodations and facilities than universities.
Câu 39: Mã câu hỏi: 24499
According to the passage, a regional university rector in Germany iselected by __________.
- A. the staff of the university
- B. the national government officials
- C. the regional government officials
- D. the staff of other universities
Câu 40: Mã câu hỏi: 24500
According to paragraph 4, what makes it possible for students in Germany to attend different universities during their undergraduate studies?
- A. The university staff have become far more mobile and occupied.
- B. The university’s training programs offer greater flexibility and freedom of choice.
- C. University tuition fees are kept at an affordable level for all students.
- D. Entry requirements to universities in Germany are made less demanding.
Câu 41: Mã câu hỏi: 24501
The word “emblems” in the final paragraph is closest in meaning to _________.
- A. representatives
- B. directions
- C. structures
- D. delegates
Câu 42: Mã câu hỏi: 24502
Which of the following can be inferred from the passage?
- A. Studying in France and Germany is a good choice for people of all ages and nationalities.
- B. It normally takes longer to complete a university course in France than in Germany.
- C. Universities in Germany can govern themselves more effectively than those in France.
- D. The level of decentralization of higher education is greater in Germany than in France.
Câu 43: Mã câu hỏi: 24503
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the underlined part that needs correction in each of the following questions.
Every member of the class were invited to the party by the form teacher.
- A. member
- B. were
- C. to
- D. the form teacher
Câu 44: Mã câu hỏi: 24504
Historically, it was the 3rd Asian Games in Japan that tennis, volleyball, table tennis and hockey were added.
- A. Historically
- B. was the 3rd Asian Games
- C. that
- D. were
Câu 45: Mã câu hỏi: 24505
Though formally close friends, they have now been estranged from each other due to some regrettable misunderstandings.
- A. formally
- B. have now been estranged
- C. each other
- D. regrettable misunderstandings
Câu 46: Mã câu hỏi: 24506
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the sentence that is closest in meaning to each of the following questions.
Harry no longer smokes a lot.
- A. Harry now smokes a lot.
- B. Harry used to smoke a lot.
- C. Harry didn’t use to smoke a lot.
- D. Harry rarely smoked a lot.
Câu 47: Mã câu hỏi: 24507
“I’ll call you as soon as I arrive at the airport,” he said to me.
- A. He objected to calling me as soon as he arrived at the airport.
- B. He promised to call me as soon as he arrived at the airport.
- C. He denied calling me as soon as he arrived at the airport.
- D. He reminded me to call him as soon as he arrived at the airport.
Câu 48: Mã câu hỏi: 24508
People think that traffic congestion in the downtown area is due to the increasing number of private cars.
- A. Traffic congestion in the downtown area is blamed for the increasing number of private cars.
- B. The increasing number of private cars is thought to be responsible for traffic congestion in the downtown area.
- C. The increasing number of private cars is attributed to traffic congestion in the downtown area.
- D. Traffic congestion in the downtown area is thought to result in the increasing number of private cars.
Câu 49: Mã câu hỏi: 24509
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the sentence that best combines each pair of sentences in the following questions.
The young girl has great experience of nursing. She has worked as a hospital volunteer for years.
- A. Before she worked as a hospital volunteer for years, the young girl has great experience of nursing.
- B. Much as she has worked as a hospital volunteer for years, the young girl has great experience of nursing.
- C. Having worked as a hospital volunteer for years, the young girl has great experience of nursing.
- D. With great experience of nursing, the young girl has worked as a hospital volunteer for years.
Câu 50: Mã câu hỏi: 24510
Peter told us about his leaving the school. He did it on his arrival at the meeting.
- A. Only after his leaving the school did Peter inform us of his arrival at the meeting.
- B. Not until Peter told us that he would leave the school did he arrive at the meeting.
- C. Hardly had Peter informed us about his leaving the school when he arrived at the meeting.
- D. No sooner had Peter arrived at the meeting than he told us about his leaving the school.