Câu hỏi trắc nghiệm (50 câu):
Câu 1: Mã câu hỏi: 32021
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the most suitable response to complete each of the following exchanges.
Tung: “Your shoes are terrific, Tuan. The colour quite suits you.”
- A. Really?
- B. Do you like them?
- C. You must be kidding. My shirt is nice, isn’t it?
- D. I’m glad you like them.
Câu 2: Mã câu hỏi: 32023
Lan: “Would you say the Great Wall is among the seven man-made wonders of the world?”
- A. That’s the least I could do.
- B. Do you think so, too?
- C. There’s no doubt about that.
- D. It was created by ancient Chinese people, wasn’t it?
Câu 3: Mã câu hỏi: 32027
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct word or phrase that best fits each of the numbered blanks from 3 to 7.
Back in the 1960s and 1970s, the world was becoming more aware of the destructive effects of industry (3)______ the environment and people were starting to think seriously about ways of protecting the environment. One man who was particularly affected by this subject was Gerard Morgan-Grenville. As Morgan-Grenville travelled round earning his living as a gardener, he noticed signs of the damage that was being done to the countryside around him. It wasn't long before Morgan-Grenville decided that he had to do something about this situation. He felt that if people could be shown a better way of living then maybe they would be interested enough to try to protect their (4)_____ environment.
Mr. Morgan-Grenville decided to set up a project (5) ______ would prove what was happening to our surroundings and what could be done about it. So, in 1975, Morgan-Grenville created the Centre for Alternative Technology (CAT) in a village in Wales.
The main aim of CAT is to search for an ecologically better way of living by using technology which (6) _____ no harm to the environment. One of the most important things CAT did initially was to explore and demonstrate a wide range of techniques and to point out which ones had the least destructive results on the world around us. (7)____, CAT provides information and advice to people all over Britain and all over the world. If more and more individuals are informed about how much damage our modern lifestyle is causing to the planet, maybe more of them would be prepared to look for practical solutions to environmental problems.
- A. for
- B. to
- C. with
- D. on
Câu 4: Mã câu hỏi: 32028
- A. worthless
- B. valueless
- C. precious
- D. priceless
Câu 5: Mã câu hỏi: 32104
- A. that
- B. he
- C. it
- D. this
Câu 6: Mã câu hỏi: 32105
- A. gets
- B. makes
- C. plays
- D. does
Câu 7: Mã câu hỏi: 32106
- A. Therefore
- B. However
- C. Moreover
- D. Although
Câu 8: Mã câu hỏi: 32107
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word whose underlined part differs from the other three in pronunciation in each of the following questions.
- A. volunteer
- B. trust
- C. fuss
- D. judge
Câu 9: Mã câu hỏi: 32109
- A. houses
- B. services
- C. passages
- D. techniques
Câu 10: Mã câu hỏi: 32112
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word(s) CLOSEST in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
Since the death of Laura's father, her mother has become a breadwinner to support the family.
- A. a person who bakes bread every morning
- B. a bakery-owner
- C. a person who delivers bread to make money
- D. a person who goes out to work to earn money
Câu 11: Mã câu hỏi: 32116
Peter is the black sheep of the family, so he is never welcomed there.
- A. a beloved member
- B. a bad and embarrassing member
- C. the only child
- D. the eldest child
Câu 12: Mã câu hỏi: 32118
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the underlined part that needs correction in each of the following questions.
Children are expected to make the right thing both at school and at home.
- A. to make
- B. the
- C. are expected
- D. both
Câu 13: Mã câu hỏi: 32131
We will have a fund-raising dinner at Rex Hotel tonight.
- A. at
- B. will have
- C. a
- D. fund-raising
Câu 14: Mã câu hỏi: 32133
It was on 12th April, 1961 when the first human, a Soviet cosmonaut, flew into space.
- A. a Soviet cosmonaut
- B. when
- C. flew
- D. into space
Câu 15: Mã câu hỏi: 32137
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word(s) OPPOSITE in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
His physical condition was not an impediment to his career as a violinist. He has won a lot of prizes.
- A. difficulty
- B. barrier
- C. advantage
- D. disadvantage
Câu 16: Mã câu hỏi: 32138
Both universities speak highly of the programme of student exchange and hope to cooperate more in the future.
- A. express disapproval of
- B. voice opinions on
- C. find favor with
- D. resolve a conflict over
Câu 17: Mã câu hỏi: 32139
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions from 17 to 24.
The difference between the nuclear family and the extended family is that a nuclear family refers to a single basic family unit of parents and their children, whereas the extended family refers to their relatives such as grandparents, in-laws, aunts and uncles, etc. In many cultures, and particularly indigenous societies, the latter is the most common basic form of social organization.
A nuclear family is limited, according to Kristy Jackson of Colorado State University, to one or two parents (e.g. a father and mother) and their own child, or children, living together in a single house or other dwellings. In anthropology, they only must be related in this fashion; there is no upper or lower limit on the number of children in a nuclear family.
The extended family is a much more nebulous term, but in essence refers to kin or relations not covered by the above definition. In historical Europe and Asia as well as in Middle Eastern, African, and South American Aboriginal cultures, extended family groups were typically the most basic unit of social organization. The term can differ in specific cultural settings, but generally includes people related in age or by lineage. Anthropologically, the term “extended family” refers to such a group living together in a household, often with three generations living together (grandparents, parents, and children) and headed in patriarchal societies by the eldest man or by some other chosen leadership figure. However, in common parlance, the term “extended family” is often used by people simply to refer to their cousins, aunts, uncles, and so on, even though they are not living together in a single group.
Historically, most people in the world have lived in extended family groupings rather than in nuclear families. This was even true in Europe and in the early United States, where multiple generations often lived together for economic reasons. During the 20th century, average income rose high enough that living apart as nuclear families became a viable option for the vast majority of the American population. In contrast, many indigenous societies and residents of developing countries continue to have multiple generations living in the same household. The rise of the nuclear family in the modern West does not necessarily mean that family arrangements have stabilized, either. The rapid growth in single-parent households, for instance, also represents a substantial change in the traditional nuclear family. More couples are also choosing not to have children at all.
What is the passage mainly about?
- A. The dominance of nuclear families over extended ones
- B. The dominance of extended families over nuclear ones
- C. A distinction between nuclear families and extended ones
- D. The changes of family types over times
Câu 18: Mã câu hỏi: 32146
The word “the latter” in paragraph 1 refers to ______.
- A. family unit
- B. relatives
- C. the nuclear family
- D. the extended family
Câu 19: Mã câu hỏi: 32147
Historically, extended families were the most basic unit of social organization in all of the following places EXCEPT ______.
- A. The Middle East
- B. Asia
- C. North America
- D. Europe
Câu 20: Mã câu hỏi: 32152
The word “patriarchal” in paragraph 3 is closest in meaning to ______.
- A. ruled or controlled by men
- B. equal for both men and women
- C. simple with no rules and laws
- D. modern with advanced facilities
Câu 21: Mã câu hỏi: 32155
According to the passage, single-parent households ______.
- A. are not defined by anthropologists
- B. are the existing trend of family arrangement
- C. are included in the term “nuclear family”
- D. are on the decrease
Câu 22: Mã câu hỏi: 32156
The word “viable” in paragraph 4 could be best replaced by _______.
- A. impossible
- B. possible
- C. explainable
- D. fashionable
Câu 23: Mã câu hỏi: 32157
Which of the following is TRUE according to the passage?
- A. Since the 20th century, more and more American couples have lived in extended families because of the financial burdens.
- B. Nuclear families are the most basic form of social organization all over the world.
- C. The popularity of nuclear families in western countries helps to stabilize family arrangement.
- D. Traditional nuclear families have changed a lot over times.
Câu 24: Mã câu hỏi: 32158
What can be inferred from the reading passage?
- A. Indigenous communities have been completely eradicated all over the world.
- B. In the future, all extended families will be replaced by nuclear ones.
- C. Anthropology is a science concerning human race and its development.
- D. Couples with no children can’t be defined as families.
Câu 25: Mã câu hỏi: 32159
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the sentence that is closest in meaning to each of the following questions.
She didn’t understand the benefits of volunteering until she joined this club.
- A. Not until she joined this club did she understand the benefits of volunteering.
- B. It was not until she joined this club did she understand the benefits of volunteering.
- C. Not until did she join this club, she understood the benefits of volunteering.
- D. Not until she joined this club that she understood the benefits of volunteering.
Câu 26: Mã câu hỏi: 32160
He didn’t prepare well for his GCSE examination and he regrets it now.
- A. Unless he had prepared well for his GCSE examination, he wouldn’t regret it now.
- B. But for his ill preparation for his GCSE examination, he wouldn’t regret it now.
- C. If it hadn’t been for his good preparation for his GCSE examination, he wouldn’t regret it now.
- D. If he had prepared well for his GCSE examination, he wouldn’t have regretted it now.
Câu 27: Mã câu hỏi: 32161
People believe that Chinese people invented paper.
- A. Paper is believed to have been invented by Chinese people.
- B. Paper is believed to be invented by Chinese people.
- C. It was believed that Chinese people invent paper.
- D. Chinese people are believed to invent paper.
Câu 28: Mã câu hỏi: 32162
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions from 28 to 34.
The weather is a national obsession in Britain, perhaps because it is so changeable. It's the national talking point, and most people watch at least one daily weather forecast. Most of the viewers imagine that the presenter does little more than arrive at the studio a few minutes before the broadcast, read the weather, and then go home.
In fact, this image is far from the truth. The two-minute bulletin which we all rely on when we need to know tomorrow's weather is the result of a hard day's work by the presenter, who is actually a highly-qualified meteorologist.
Every morning, after a weather forecaster arrives at the TV studios, his/her first task of the day is to collect the latest data from the National Meteorological Office. The information is very detailed and includes predictions, satellite and radar pictures, as well as more technical data. After gathering all the relevant material from this office, the forecaster has to translate the scientific terminology and maps into images and words which viewers can easily understand. The final broadcast is then carefully planned. The presenter decides what to say and in what order to say it. Next a “story board” is drawn up which lays out the script word for word.
The time allocated for each broadcast can also alter. This is because the weather report is screened after the news, which can vary in length. The weather forecaster doesn't always know how much time is available, which means that he/she has to be thoroughly prepared so that the material can be adapted to the time available.
What makes weather forecasting more complicated is that it has to be a live broadcast and cannot be pre-recorded. Live shows are very nerve-racking for the presenter because almost anything can go wrong. Perhaps the most worrying aspect for every weather forecaster is getting the following day's predictions wrong. Unfortunately for them, this is not an unusual occurrence; the weather is not always possible to predict accurately.
These days, a weather forecaster's job is even more complicated because they are relied upon to predict other environmental conditions. For example, in the summer the weather forecast has to include the pollen count for hay fever sufferers. Some also include reports on ultraviolet radiation intensity to help people avoid sunburn. The job of a weather forecaster is certainly far more sophisticated than just pointing at a map and describing weather conditions. It's a job for professionals who can cope with stressful and challenging conditions.
The passage is mainly about ______.
- A. weather forecast in England
- B. a weather forecaster’s job
- C. the most widely watched TV programme
- D. the competition between weather forecast and other TV programmes
Câu 29: Mã câu hỏi: 32163
The word “bulletin” in paragraph 2 is closest in meaning to ______.
- A. show
- B. advertisement
- C. report
- D. forecast
Câu 30: Mã câu hỏi: 32164
In Britain, people's attitude to the weather _____.
- A. is a national problem
- B. depends on the prediction being for a sunny or rainy day
- C. is quite neglectful
- D. makes it a top discussion topic
Câu 31: Mã câu hỏi: 32165
What does the word “this” in paragraph 5 refer to?
- A. the weather forecaster's worry
- B. the complication of a live broadcast
- C. giving a forecast that doesn't come true
- D. an accurate prediction
Câu 32: Mã câu hỏi: 32166
Creating a weather report is complex because _____.
- A. the information includes unreliable predictions
- B. radar pictures are technical
- C. maps have to be drawn
- D. a lot of data has to be interpreted
Câu 33: Mã câu hỏi: 32167
Weather forecasters have to know the material well because _____.
- A. the forecast may be incorporated into the news broadcast
- B. they sometimes need to change it to meet the time limitation
- C. the broadcast is pre-recorded
- D. they don’t make the bulletins by themselves
Câu 34: Mã câu hỏi: 32168
What can be inferred from the passage?
- A. British people are concerned with weather because it affects their economy.
- B. Weather forecasting is among demanding jobs.
- C. TV reporters need to learn by heart what to say.
- D. To become a weather forecaster, you must graduate from a prestigious university.
Câu 35: Mã câu hỏi: 32169
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the sentence that best combines each pair of sentences in the following questions.
Alternative sources of energy have environmental advantages. It’s not easy to make full use of them.
- A. Because alternative sources of energy have environmental advantages, it’s not easy to make full use of them.
- B. Alternative sources of energy have environmental advantages, so it’s not easy to make full use of them.
- C. Despite their environmental advantages, it’s not easy to make full use of alternative sources of energy.
- D. Although alternative sources of energy have environmental advantages, but it’s not easy to make full use of them.
Câu 36: Mã câu hỏi: 32170
Human beings have destroyed the environment for a long time. They are now paying a high price for this.
- A. Because having destroyed the environment for a long time, human beings are now paying a high price for this.
- B. Having destroyed the environment for a long time, human beings are now paying a high price for this.
- C. On destroying the environment for a long time, they are now paying a high price for this.
- D. After being destroyed for a long time, the environment is now paying a high price.
Câu 37: Mã câu hỏi: 32171
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word that differs from the other three in the position of primary stress in each of the following questions.
- A. polite
- B. roommate
- C. diverse
- D. apply
Câu 38: Mã câu hỏi: 32172
- A. interfere
- B. athletics
- C. agrarian
- D. available
Câu 39: Mã câu hỏi: 32173
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
On hearing that she failed the entrance exam, Trang couldn’t help ____ into tears.
- A. bursting
- B. burst
- C. to bursting
- D. to burst
Câu 40: Mã câu hỏi: 32174
Arranging flowers _____ among my mother’s hobbies.
- A. is
- B. are
- C. were
- D. have been
Câu 41: Mã câu hỏi: 32175
She didn’t enjoy her first year at college because she failed to _____ her new friends.
- A. come in for
- B. look down on
- C. go down with
- D. get on with
Câu 42: Mã câu hỏi: 32176
Peter has a separate room for his musical ______.
- A. instruments
- B. equipment
- C. tools
- D. facilities
Câu 43: Mã câu hỏi: 32177
We have just visited disadvantaged children in an orphanage ______ in Bac Ninh Province.
- A. located
- B. locating
- C. which locates
- D. to locate
Câu 44: Mã câu hỏi: 32178
Most people believe that school days are the _____ days of their life.
- A. better
- B. best
- C. more best
- D. good
Câu 45: Mã câu hỏi: 32179
My aunt gave me a ______ hat on my 16th birthday.
- A. nice yellow new cotton
- B. new nice cotton yellow
- C. new nice yellow cotton
- D. nice new yellow cotton
Câu 46: Mã câu hỏi: 32181
The interviewer asked me what experience _____ for the job.
- A. do you get
- B. did I get
- C. I got
- D. you got
Câu 47: Mã câu hỏi: 32183
He is a good team leader who always acts ______ in case of emergency.
- A. decisively
- B. decisive
- C. decision
- D. decide
Câu 48: Mã câu hỏi: 32185
They have just set off. They _____ on their way there.
- A. can’t be
- B. must have been
- C. should have been
- D. must be
Câu 49: Mã câu hỏi: 32194
Vietnamese students are forced to take _____ entrance examination before being admitted to _____ entrance examination.
- A. an/the
- B. an/ a
- C. the/the
- D. Ø/ a
Câu 50: Mã câu hỏi: 32196
Today, the old couple has their family and friends _____ their golden wedding anniversary.
- A. attend
- B. to attend
- C. attended
- D. attending