Câu hỏi trắc nghiệm (50 câu):
Câu 1: Mã câu hỏi: 98834
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word whose underlined part differs from the other three in pronunciation in each of the following questions
- A. wood
- B. bookbinder
- C. brotherhood
- D. proof
Câu 2: Mã câu hỏi: 98835
- A. sacred
- B. rumoured
- C. bothered
- D. considered
Câu 3: Mã câu hỏi: 98839
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on you answer sheet to indicate the word that differs from the rest in the position of the main stress in each of the following questions.
- A. advocacy
- B. artificial
- C. businessman
- D. secretary
Câu 4: Mã câu hỏi: 98915
- A. continent
- B. permanent
- C. coherent
- D. sentiment
Câu 5: Mã câu hỏi: 98920
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
On_________inspection, one may realise that the farmers do not use fertilisers and pesticides for the simple reason that it would not pay off.
- A. closer
- B. better
- C. nearer
- D. intimate
Câu 6: Mã câu hỏi: 98986
It is a huge transition, but achievable - particularly if we________the massive present waste of energy.
- A. drop out of
- B. cut down on
- C. drop in on
- D. go on with
Câu 7: Mã câu hỏi: 99166
Sidebar can keep information and tools__________available for you to use.
- A. solely
- B. warmly
- C. readily
- D. shortly
Câu 8: Mã câu hỏi: 99173
Scientists have found a way by which they can convert all blood types into O- type blood,________?
- A. can they
- B. has it
- C. haven’t they
- D. have they
Câu 9: Mã câu hỏi: 99201
He didn't achieve much at school in academic terms but he was_________of his elders and listened to them.
- A. respectful
- B. respective
- C. respectable
- D. respected
Câu 10: Mã câu hỏi: 99203
“Did you enjoy your graduation ceremony?”
“Oh yes; I didn’t like__________photographed all the time, though.”
- A. to have been
- B. having been
- C. being
- D. it to be
Câu 11: Mã câu hỏi: 99204
Visitors to the park must pay an entrance and boat fee, which is approximately $60 regardless of the number of people__________.
- A. on abroad
- B. on the board
- C. abroad
- D. boarding
Câu 12: Mã câu hỏi: 99205
He admits that quite__________very experienced climbers have died on the West Ridge route.
- A. a little
- B. a few
- C. some
- D. few
Câu 13: Mã câu hỏi: 99207
___________in Central Park every year to commemorate John Lennon’s death and to argue for stricter gun laws.
- A. Huge crowds there are
- B. There are huge crowds
- C. That there are huge clouds
- D. Are there huge crowds
Câu 14: Mã câu hỏi: 99209
“Do you need any help with those grocery bags?” “__________to ask! Thank you!”
- A. What kind are you
- B. How kind are you
- C. What kind of you
- D. How kind of you
Câu 15: Mã câu hỏi: 99219
This app comes with a small set of games that you can play whenever you're in the_________for a bit of fun.
- A. emotion
- B. mood
- C. feeling
- D. mind
Câu 16: Mã câu hỏi: 99222
Only after food has been dried or canned_____________.
- A. that it should be stored for later consumption
- B. should be stored for later consumption
- C. should it be stored for later consumption
- D. it should be stored for later consumption
Câu 17: Mã câu hỏi: 99226
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the most suitable response to complete each of the following exchanges.
“How much do you earn in your new job?” “__________”
- A. You can be so bossy at times!
- B. That’s a bit nosey of you!
- C. You shouldn’t ask that
- D. I’m not your slave!
Câu 18: Mã câu hỏi: 99239
Julie and Ann are talking about their classmate.
- Julie: “________” - Ann: “Yeah, not bad, I suppose.”
- A. He is quite good-looking, isn’t he?
- B. Do you see him often?
- C. What are you thinking?
- D. How did you meet him?
Câu 19: Mã câu hỏi: 99245
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the sentence that best combines each pair of sentences in the following questions.
Increasing urbanization has led to problems. Cities are centers of civilization and culture.
- A. Although increasing urbanization has led to problems but cities are centers of civilization and culture.
- B. Though increasing urbanization has led to problems, cities are centers of civilization and culture.
- C. Despite increasing urbanization has led to problems but cities are centers of civilization and culture.
- D. In spite of increasing urbanization has led to problems but cities are centers of civilization and culture.
Câu 20: Mã câu hỏi: 99254
It’s not fair to put all the blame on him. He’s not the only one at fault.
- A. He doesn't deserve to be blamed for everything as there were others involved.
- B. He deserved to be punished, but the others don’t.
- C. It wouldn't be right to punish those who, like him, were not involved.
- D. Only the one who were involved should be punished.
Câu 21: Mã câu hỏi: 99255
Mark the letter A, It, C, or l) on your answer sheet to iiuiicate the sentence that is closest in meaning to each of the following questions.
There is no point in your phoning Jane - she's away.
- A. You waste your time if you insist on phoning Jane - she’s away.
- B. Don't spend your valuable time phoning Jane — she's out.
- C. Jane is very difficult to phone - she's always away.
- D. It would be a waste of time phoning Jane - she's away.
Câu 22: Mã câu hỏi: 99256
My eldest sister started working as a freelance journalist as soon as she graduated from university.
- A. No sooner had my eldest sister graduated from university than she started working as a freelance journalist.
- B. No sooner had my eldest sister started working as a freelance journalist than she graduated from university.
- C. Hardly had my eldest started working as a freelance journalist when she graduated from university.
- D. After my eldest sister graduated from university, she had started working as a freelance journalist.
Câu 23: Mã câu hỏi: 99257
We’ve decided to replace those plastic shower curtains with these rubber ones.
- A. We have decided to substitute these rubber shower curtains for those plastic ones.
- B. Those plastic shower curtains are decided to replace for these rubber ones.
- C. We have decided to substitute those plastic shower curtains for these rubber ones.
- D. Those plastic shower curtains have been used to replace for these rubber ones.
Câu 24: Mã câu hỏi: 99258
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions from 24 to 30.
An individual's personality is the complex of mental characteristics that makes them unique from other people. It includes all of the patterns of thought and emotions that cause us to do and say things in particular ways. At a basic level, personality is expressed through our temperament or emotional tone. However, personality also colours our values, beliefs, and expectations. There are many potential factors that are involved in shaping a personality. These factors are usually seen as coming from heredity and the environment. Research by psychologists over the last several decades has increasingly pointed to hereditary factors being more important, especially for basic personality traits such as emotional tone.
However, the acquisition of values, beliefs, and expectations seem to be due more to socialization and unique experiences, especially during childhood. Some hereditary factors that contribute to personality development do so as a result of interactions with the particular social environment in which people live. For instance, your genetically inherited physical and mental capabilities have an impact on how others see you and, subsequently, how you see yourself. Likewise, your health and physical appearance are likely to be very important in your personality development. You may be frail or robust. You may have a learning disability. These largely hereditary factors are likely to cause you to feel that you are nice - looking, ugly, or just adequate. Likewise, skin colour, gender, and sexual orientation are likely to have a major impact on how you perceive yourself. Whether you are accepted by others as being normal or abnormal can lead you to think and act in a socially acceptable or marginal and even deviant way.
There are many potential environmental influences that help to shape personality. Child rearing practices are especially critical. In the dominant culture of North America, children are usually raised in ways that encourage them to become self-reliant and independent. Children are often allowed to act somewhat like equals to their parents. In contrast, children in China are usually encouraged to think and act as a member of their family and to suppress their own wishes when they are in conflict with the needs of the family. Independence and self-reliance are viewed as an indication of family failure and are discouraged.
(Adapted from: https://www2.palomar.edu/anthKo/social/soc_3.htm)
According to recent studies, what factor is the most important in shaping an individual’s basic personality traits?
- A. Transmission of traits from parents to children
- B. Very special events or activities that affect him/her
- C. Learning to behave in a socially acceptable way
- D. The period of a person’s life when they a child
Câu 25: Mã câu hỏi: 99259
According to the passage, sometimes heredity and environment_________.
- A. are not well recognized in the society
- B. interact in personality development
- C. are interesting research topics
- D. include values, beliefs and expectations
Câu 26: Mã câu hỏi: 99260
What is NOT mentioned as a hereditary factor?
- A. Health
- B. Mental capabilities
- C. Physical contact
- D. Learning abilities
Câu 27: Mã câu hỏi: 99261
Which of the followings can best replace the word “perceive” in the second paragraph?
- A. Look at
- B. See
- C. Understand
- D. Watch
Câu 28: Mã câu hỏi: 99262
According to the passage, how your self-image____________.
- A. is limited with your learning disability
- B. is affected by the way others see you
- C. increased in the process of socialization
- D. is fulfilled with your appearance
Câu 29: Mã câu hỏi: 99263
According to the passage, concepts like beauty or ugliness__________.
- A. change from time to time
- B. are different in societies
- C. only appear recently
- D. are related to skin colours
Câu 30: Mã câu hỏi: 99264
According to the passage, what is the most important environmental factor in personality development?
- A. How a child is brought up
- B. When a child starts school
- C. What a child looks like
- D. Which country a child is born in
Câu 31: Mã câu hỏi: 99265
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct word or phrase that best fits each of the numbered blanks from 31 to 35.
Why is culture important and how does it answer the question “What is cultural identity? ’? Culture is the underlying foundation of traditions and beliefs that help a person relate to the world around then. It is the basis for any superstitions they may have. It is the aversion to (31)_________types of meat, or which days you can work on. Culture gives us a (32)__________starting point when beginning to search for our roots. Knowing (33)___________a person comes from will help to define how they look at their family
obligations as well as how they celebrate important milestones in life. As a person has given up their cultural identity, they no longer can identify themselves with the things that were (34)__________the most important things in their lives. They lose direction. As time (35)__________by and they continue to forget about their past and their natural traditions, their identity becomes less and less pronounced.
(Source: http://nobullying. com/ cultural-identity)
- A. especial
- B. special
- C. specific
- D. typical
Câu 32: Mã câu hỏi: 99266
- A. definitive
- B. definite
- C. definition
- D. definitively
Câu 33: Mã câu hỏi: 99267
- A. by which
- B. how
- C. when
- D. where
Câu 34: Mã câu hỏi: 99269
- A. at once
- B. once
- C. one time
- D. for once
Câu 35: Mã câu hỏi: 99270
- A. goes
- B. flies
- C. passes
- D. walks
Câu 36: Mã câu hỏi: 99274
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word(s) CLOSEST in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
Some supporters were shouting to him and he was talking back and I told him to calm down.
- A. answering impertinently
- B. talking again
- C. answering immediately
- D. talking patiently
Câu 37: Mã câu hỏi: 99277
Birds are at their most vulnerable when they leave their nests and find food on their own.
- A. strong
- B. susceptible
- C. powerful
- D. invincible
Câu 38: Mã câu hỏi: 99280
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word(s) OPPOSITE in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
His jokes won't be to everyone's taste because it is so close to the bone.
- A. personal
- B. offensive
- C. respectful
- D. annoying
Câu 39: Mã câu hỏi: 99287
Most impoverished families' homes are primitive shelters made of scrap materials, which provide minimal privacy and protection against the elements.
- A. original
- B. basic
- C. modem
- D. recent
Câu 40: Mã câu hỏi: 99290
Mark the letter A, B. C, or D on your answer sheet to show the underlined part that needs correction in each of the following questions
You should take out insurance for your house from any possible damage. Earthquakes sometimes occur here.
- A. take out
- B. for
- C. from
- D. occur
Câu 41: Mã câu hỏi: 99299
An understanding of engineering theories and problem are impossible until basic arithmetic is fully mastered.
- A. engineering theories
- B. are
- C. is
- D. mastered
Câu 42: Mã câu hỏi: 99302
The alarm was raised too late because when the emergency crew arrived, no less than 10,000 gallons of oil has gusted into the stream.
- A. raised
- B. arrived
- C. less
- D. has gusted
Câu 43: Mã câu hỏi: 99307
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions from 43 to 50.
All over the country, young people are entering a world of homelessness and poverty, according to a recent report by the housing group, Shelter.
Nearly 150,000 young people aged between sixteen and twenty-five will become homeless this year, says Shelter. Some of the young homeless may sleep out in the open in such places as the “cardboard city” in London, where people of all ages sleep in the open air in their only home - cardboard boxes. Others may find accommodation in shelters run by voluntary organisations or get a place in a hostel, which gives them board up to ten weeks.
But who are these people? Those who are seeking a roof over their heads are mostly not runaways but “throwaways” — people who have been thrown out of their homes or forced to leave because of parental divorce, an unsympathetic step-parent or one of many other reasons.
Take the case of one six teen-year-old schoolgirl, Alice. She did not come from a poor home and had just passed her exams with good results. The Shelter team met her in a hostel where she was doing her physics homework. Her parents had thrown her out of her home for no other reason that she wanted to do Science Advanced Level Exams - which her parents refused her permissionjo do, saying that studying sciences was unladylike!
Shelter says that the government’s laws do nothing to help these youngsters. Rising rents, the shortage of cheap housing and the cut in benefits for young people under the age of twenty-five are causing a national problem, according to Shelter. The recent changes in the benefit laws mean that someone aged between sixteen and twenty-five gets less than older people and they can only claim state help if they prove that they left home for a good reason.
Shelter believes that because of the major cuts in benefits to young people, more and more are being forced to sleep on the streets. Shelter also points out that if you are homeless, you can’t get a job because employers will not hire someone without a permanent address; and if you can’t get a job, you are homeless because you don’t have any money to pay for accommodation. It’s an impossible situation.
(Source: FCE success workbook)
According to a recent report by Shelter, it appears that________.
- A. hostels are too full to offer accommodation to homeless young people
- B. more and more young people all over the world are finding themselves homeless
- C. nearly 150,000 young people live out in the open
- D. young homeless people live in places like “cardboard city”
Câu 44: Mã câu hỏi: 99311
The word “Others” in paragraph 2 refers to_________.
- A. people of all ages
- B. young people
- C. the young homeless
- D. voluntary organisations
Câu 45: Mã câu hỏi: 99316
Most young people become homeless because_________.
- A. circumstances make it impossible for them to live at home
- B. they do not want to live with a divorced parent
- C. they have run away from home
- D. they have thrown away any chances of living at home by behaving badly
Câu 46: Mã câu hỏi: 99321
Why was Alice turned out of her home?
- A. Her parents didn’t agree with what she wanted to do.
- B. She didn’t want to study for her Advanced Level Exams.
- C. She had not obtained high marks in her exams.
- D. She refused to do her homework in the evening.
Câu 47: Mã câu hỏi: 99327
According to the passage, “benefits” are____________.
- A. subsidies for those in need
- B. extra wages for part-time workers
- C. gifts of food and clothing
- D. laws about distributing money
Câu 48: Mã câu hỏi: 99331
The changes in the system of benefits mean that .
- A. the under twenty-fives can claim money only if they have left home
- B. anyone under twenty-five and not living at home will receive help with food and accommodation
- C. young people cannot claim money unless they are under sixteen or over twenty-five
- D. young people do not receive as much money as those over twenty-five
Câu 49: Mã câu hỏi: 99333
According to Shelter, once young people have forced onto the streets,___________.
- A. their benefits will be severely cut
- B. they will never go back home again
- C. they will find it difficult to find work
- D. they will encourage their friends to do the same
Câu 50: Mã câu hỏi: 99335
The word “permanent” in the last paragraph is closest in meaning to__________.
- A. stable
- B. flexible
- C. obvious
- D. simple