Câu hỏi trắc nghiệm (50 câu):
Câu 1: Mã câu hỏi: 75303
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word whose underlined part differs from the other three in pronunciation in each of the following questions.
- A. finished
- B. developed
- C. defeated
- D. looked
Câu 2: Mã câu hỏi: 75304
- A. hesitate
- B. reserve
- C. physics
- D. basic
Câu 3: Mã câu hỏi: 75305
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word that differs from the other three in the position of primary stress in each of the following questions.
- A. bamboo
- B. forget
- C. deserve
- D. channel
Câu 4: Mã câu hỏi: 75306
- A. endanger
- B. furniture
- C. determine
- D. departure
Câu 5: Mã câu hỏi: 75307
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the underlined part that needs correction in each of the following questions.
The number of students attending English courses at our university are increasing.
- A. The
- B. students attending
- C. at
- D. are
Câu 6: Mã câu hỏi: 75308
Scuba diving is usually carried out in the ocean in that people can explore the underwater world.
- A. is
- B. out
- C. that
- D. explore
Câu 7: Mã câu hỏi: 75309
To be successful in an interview, you should control the feeling of pressure and making a good impression on the interviewer.
- A. successful
- B. control
- C. making
- D. on
Câu 8: Mã câu hỏi: 75310
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
For the last 20 years, we______ significant changes in the world of science and technology.
- A. witness
- B. have witnessed
- C. witnessed
- D. are witnessing
Câu 9: Mã câu hỏi: 75311
Housewives find it easier to do domestic chores thanks to_____ invention of labour-saving devices.
- A. the
- B. a
- C. an
- D. some
Câu 10: Mã câu hỏi: 75312
Air pollution is getting _______ serious in big cities in the world.
- A. more and more
- B. the more and the more
- C. the most and the most
- D. most and most
Câu 11: Mã câu hỏi: 75313
Ms Brown asked me __________ in my class.
- A. there were how many students
- B. how many students there were
- C. were there how many students
- D. how many students were there
Câu 12: Mã câu hỏi: 75314
Her fiancé is said________from Harvard University five years ago.
- A. having graduated
- B. to have graduated
- C. being graduated
- D. to be graduated
Câu 13: Mã câu hỏi: 75315
Many rare and precious species are now _______the verge of extinction.
- A. in
- B. from
- C. on
- D. by
Câu 14: Mã câu hỏi: 75316
They are always_______ of what their children do.
- A. support
- B. supporting
- C. supportive
- D. supportively
Câu 15: Mã câu hỏi: 76235
Women in some parts of the world are still struggling for_______ job opportunities to men.
- A. equal
- B. various
- C. suitable
- D. legal
Câu 16: Mã câu hỏi: 76236
The manager_______ his temper with the employees and shouted at them.
- A. had
- B. lost
- C. took
- D. kept
Câu 17: Mã câu hỏi: 76237
All nations should_______ hands to work out a plan to solve the problem of global warming.
- A. join
- B. hold
- C. shake
- D. lend
Câu 18: Mã câu hỏi: 76238
Garvin is_______ a new computer application to see whether it works.
- A. looking after
- B. putting on
- C. trying out
- D. turning up
Câu 19: Mã câu hỏi: 76239
Terry is a very imaginative boy. He always comes_______ interesting ideas.
- A. out of
- B. down on
- C. up with
- D. in for
Câu 20: Mã câu hỏi: 76240
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the most suitable response to complete each of the following exchanges.
Susan accidentally stepped on Denise’s foot.
- Susan: “Oops! I’m sorry, Denise.”
- Denise: “______”
- A. You shouldn’t do that.
- B. It’s alright.
- C. You are welcome.
- D. It’s nonsense.
Câu 21: Mã câu hỏi: 76241
Hana and Jenifer are talking about a book they have just read.
- Hana: “The book is really interesting and educational.”
- Jenifer: “ ________”
- A. I’d love it.
- B. That’s nice of you to say so.
- C. I couldn’t agree more.
- D. Don’t mention it.
Câu 22: Mã câu hỏi: 76242
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word CLOSEST in meaning to the underlined word in each of the following questions.
The student service centre will try their best to assist students in finding a suitable part-time job.
- A. help
- B. allow
- C. make
- D. employ
Câu 23: Mã câu hỏi: 76243
My sister is a very diligent student. She works very hard at every subject.
- A. clever
- B. practical
- C. studious
- D. helpful
Câu 24: Mã câu hỏi: 76244
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word(s) OPPOSITE in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
Sorry, I can’t come to your party. I am snowed under with work at the moment.
- A. busy with
- B. free from
- C. relaxed about
- D. interested in
Câu 25: Mã câu hỏi: 76245
Basically, everything is the same; however, there may be some minor changes to the schedule.
- A. big
- B. sudden
- C. gradual
- D. small
Câu 26: Mã câu hỏi: 76246
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the sentence that is closest in meaning to each of the following questions.
I really believe my letter came as a great surprise to John.
- A. John might be very surprised to receive my letter.
- B. John might have been very surprised to receive my letter.
- C. John must be very surprised to receive my letter.
- D. John must have been very surprised to receive my letter.
Câu 27: Mã câu hỏi: 76247
“Why don’t we go out for dinner tonight?” said Jim.
- A. Jim suggested going out for dinner that night.
- B. Jim refused to go out for dinner that night.
- C. Jim denied going out for dinner that night.
- D. Jim promised to go out for dinner that night.
Câu 28: Mã câu hỏi: 76248
The candidate was offered the job because of his excellent answers.
- A. The job was offered to the candidate although he couldn’t answer the questions.
- B. If it hadn’t been for the candidate’s excellent answers, he couldn’t have got the job.
- C. The candidate answered the questions so excellently that he might get the job.
- D. Because it was such a good job, the candidate tried to answer the questions excellently.
Câu 29: Mã câu hỏi: 76249
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the sentence that best combines each pair of sentences in the following questions.
Our flight was delayed. We decided to spend time at the duty-free shops.
- A. As our flight was delayed, we decided to spend time at the duty-free shops.
- B. We have been spending time at the duty-free shops since our flight was delayed.
- C. We decided to spend time at the duty-free shops in case our flight was delayed.
- D. Although our flight was delayed, we decided to spend time at the duty-free shops.
Câu 30: Mã câu hỏi: 76250
I didn’t pay attention to the teacher. I failed to understand the lesson.
- A. Although I paid attention to the teacher, I failed to understand the lesson.
- B. I would have understood the lesson if I had failed to pay attention to the teacher.
- C. I would have understood the lesson if I had paid attention to the teacher.
- D. Unless I failed to understand the lesson, I would pay attention to the teacher.
Câu 31: Mã câu hỏi: 76251
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct word or phrase that best fits each of the numbered blanks from 31 to 35.
The Internet has truly transformed how students do their homework. (31) ____homework today still means spending time in the library, it’s for a different reason. Rather than using books for research, students today are (32) ______to the Internet to download enormous amounts of data available online.
In the past, students were limited to their school’s (33) _________ of books. In many cases, they got to the school library and found out that someone had already taken the books they needed. Nowadays, such inconvenience can be avoided since the Internet never runs out of information. Students, however, do have to (34)_____sure that the information they find online is true. Teachers have also benefited from the homework which is done on the Internet. They do not need to carry students’ papers around with them any more. This is because online (35)______allow students to electronically upload their homework for their teachers to read and mark. Of course, this also means that students can no longer use the excuse that the dog ate their homework!
(Adapted from “Gold Pre-first Exam Maximizer,” by H. Chilton & L. Edwards, 2013, Harlow: Pearson)
- A. But
- B. For
- C. While
- D. Before
Câu 32: Mã câu hỏi: 76252
- A. connecting
- B. linking
- C. searching
- D. looking
Câu 33: Mã câu hỏi: 76253
- A. select
- B. selective
- C. selectively
- D. selection
Câu 34: Mã câu hỏi: 76254
- A. do
- B. get
- C. make
- D. come
Câu 35: Mã câu hỏi: 76255
- A. materials
- B. systems
- C. structures
- D. sources
Câu 36: Mã câu hỏi: 76256
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions from 36 to 42.
Whales are the largest animals in the world, and the gentlest creatures we know. Although the whale is very huge, it is not hindered at all by its size when it is in the water. Whales have tails that end like flippers. With just a gentle flick, it can propel itself forward. The skin of a whale is so smooth that it does not create any friction that can slow the whale down. A whale’s breathing hole is located on the top of its head, so it can breathe without having to completely push its head out of the water. Whales are protected from the cold seawater by body fat that is called blubber.
Whales live in the ocean but, in terms of behaviours, they are more similar to humans than fish. They live in family groups and they even travel in groups when they have to migrate from cooler to warmer waters. The young stay with their parents for as long as fifteen years. Whales are known not to desert the ill or injured members; instead, they cradle them.
When whales are in danger, there are people who go to great lengths to help them. One such case occurred in 1988, when three young whales were trapped in the sea. It was close to winter and the sea had begun to freeze over. Whales are mammals that require oxygen from the air, so the frozen ice was a great danger to them. All they had then was a tiny hole in the ice for them to breathe through. Volunteers from all over soon turned up to help these creatures. They cut holes in the ice to provide more breathing holes for the whales. These holes would also serve as guides for the whales so that they could swim to warmer waters.
(Adapted from http://www.englishdaily626.com?reading_comprehension)
Which of the following best describes the main idea of this passage?
- A. Successful attempts to rescue whales all over the world
- B. Some remarkable similarities of whales to humans
- C. Whales as the largest, gentlest but vulnerable creatures
- D. Whales as the only animals to live in warm water
Câu 37: Mã câu hỏi: 76257
Whales can move easily in water thanks to their______.
- A. tail and blubber
- B. size and head
- C. tail and skin
- D. skin and head
Câu 38: Mã câu hỏi: 76258
Where is the whale’s breathing hole located?
- A. On its head
- B. On its back
- C. On its face
- D. On its tail
Câu 39: Mã câu hỏi: 76259
According to paragraph 2, the author mentions all of the following to show that whales “are more similar to humans” EXCEPT _______
- A. they do not desert the ill or injured members
- B. they do not migrate from cooler to warmer waters
- C. they live in family groups and travel in groups
- D. the young stay with their parents for almost fifteen years
Câu 40: Mã câu hỏi: 76260
The word “tiny” in paragraph 3 probably means___ .
- A. very small
- B. very deep
- C. very fat
- D. very ugly
Câu 41: Mã câu hỏi: 76261
The word “they” in paragraph 3 refers to______.
- A. guides
- B. holes
- C. the whales
- D. warmer water
Câu 42: Mã câu hỏi: 76262
According to the passage, why was the frozen ice on the sea surface a danger to whales?
- A. Because they couldn’t swim in icy cold water.
- B. Because they couldn’t eat when the weather was too cold.
- C. Because whales couldn’t breathe without sufficient oxygen.
- D. Because the water was too cold for them as they were warm-blooded.
Câu 43: Mã câu hỏi: 76263
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions from 43 to 50.
It's called 42 - the name taken from the answer to the meaning of life, from the science fiction series. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. 42 was founded by French technology billionaire Xavier Niel, whose backing means there are no tuition fees and accommodation is free. Mr Niel and his co-founders come from the world of technology and start-ups, and they are trying to do to education what Facebook did to communication and Airbnb to accommodation.
Students at 42 are given a choice of projects that they might be set in a job as a software engineer - perhaps to design a website or a computer game. They complete a project using resources freely available on the Internet and by seeking help from their fellow students, who work alongside them in a large open-plan room full of computers. Another student will then be randomly assigned to mark their work.
The founders claim this method of learning makes up for shortcomings in the traditional education system, which they say encourages students to be passive recipients of knowledge. "Peer-to-peer learning develops students with the confidence to search for solutions by themselves, often in quite creative and ingenious ways."
Like in computer games , the students are asked to design and they go up a level by completing a project. They graduate when they reach level 21, which usually takes three to five years . And at the end, there is a certificate but no formal degree. Recent graduates are now working at companies including IBM, Amazon, and Tesla, as well as starting their own firms.
"The feedback we have had from employers is that our graduates are more apt to go off and find out information for themselves, rather than asking their supervisors what to do next," says Brittany Bir, chief operating officer of 42 in California and a graduate of its sister school in Paris. Ms Bir says 42's graduates will be better able to work with others and discuss and defend their ideas - an important skill in the “real world” of work. "This is particularly important in computer programming, where individuals are notorious for lacking certain human skills," she says.
But could 42's model of teacherless learning work in mainstream universities? Brittany Bir admits 42's methods do not suit all students . "It suits individuals who are very disciplined and self-motivated, and who are not scared by having the freedom to work at their own pace," she says.
(Adapted from http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37694248)
According to the passage, 42 is_________.
- A. a kind of school
- B. a type of accommodation
- C. an innovation in technology
- D. a tool of virtual communication
Câu 44: Mã câu hỏi: 76264
The word “them” in paragraph 2 refers to________.
- A. students at 42
- B. projects
- C. resources
- D. software engineers
Câu 45: Mã câu hỏi: 76265
The author mentions “to design a website or a computer game” in paragraph 2 to illustrate _______.
- A. a job that a French software engineer always does
- B. a choice of assignment that students at 42 have to complete
- C. a free resource available on the Internet
- D. a help that students at 42 get for their work
Câu 46: Mã câu hỏi: 76266
What do 42’s graduates receive on completion of their course?
- A. a certificate
- B. a degree
- C. a project
- D. a design
Câu 47: Mã câu hỏi: 76267
Which of the following is TRUE according to the passage?
- A. The founders of 42 share the idea of providing free service on Facebook.
- B. It normally takes 42’s students at least five years to complete their course.
- C. The students of 42 are required to play computer games during their course.
- D. 42’s peer-to-peer approach promotes active learning and working.
Câu 48: Mã câu hỏi: 76268
According to Ms Bir, 42’s graduates will be able to improve ______.
- A. the skills of giving feedback
- B. the skills of searching for information
- C. the skills of teamwork and debating
- D. the skills of software programming
Câu 49: Mã câu hỏi: 76269
The word “notorious” in paragraph 5 can be best replaced by _______.
- A. respectable
- B. incompetent
- C. infamous
- D. memorable
Câu 50: Mã câu hỏi: 76270
It can be inferred from the passage that___.
- A. 42 is a good choice for people of all ages and nationalities
- B. all 42’s graduates are employed by world leading technology companies
- C. 42’s students have to handle the task assigned without any assistance
- D. 42 adopts project-based and problem-solving learning methods