Câu hỏi trắc nghiệm (50 câu):
Câu 1: Mã câu hỏi: 27542
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word that differs from the other three in the position of the primary stress in each of the following questions.
- A. A. decent
- B. B. reserve
- C. C. confide
- D. D. appeal
Câu 2: Mã câu hỏi: 27543
- A. stimulate
- B. sacrifice
- C. devastate
- D. determine
Câu 3: Mã câu hỏi: 27544
Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the sentence that best combines each pair of sentences in the following questions.
Our products are environmentally- friendly. We package all of them in recyclable materials.
- A. Packing our products in recyclable materials, we made them environmentally - friendly.
- B. Our products are packaged in recycled materials to be environmentally-friendly.
- C. The recyclable package of our products makes them look environmentally-friendly.
- D. Packed in recyclable materials, our products are environmentally-friendly.
Câu 4: Mã câu hỏi: 27545
Transportation has been made much easier thanks to the invention of car. However, cars are the greatest contributor of air pollution.
- A. The invention of cars has made transportation much easier, but cars are among the greatest contributors of air pollution.
- B. However easier the invention of cars has made transportation, it is cars that among the greatest contributors of air pollution.
- C. Although the invention of cars has made transportation much easier, cars are the greatest contributor of air pollution of air.
- D. Although the invention of cars has made transportation much easier, people use cars to contribute to the pollution of air.
Câu 5: Mã câu hỏi: 27546
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the sentence that is closest in meaning to each of the following questions.
We couldn't solve the problem until our teacher arrived.
- A. Not until we solved the problem could our teacher arrive.
- B. When our teacher arrived, we solved the problem.
- C. Until our teacher arrived, we were able to solve the problem.
- D. Not until our teacher arrived could we solve the problem.
Câu 6: Mã câu hỏi: 27547
I don't find it difficult to get up early in the morning.
- A. It's difficult for me to get up early in the morning.
- B. I'm used to getting up early in the morning.
- C. I hate getting up early in the morning.
- D. I used to get up early in the morning.
Câu 7: Mã câu hỏi: 27548
I thought she was the right person for the position, yet it turned put that she was quite useless.
- A. Because I was expecting her to be competent, I was shocked to see her perform rather badly.
- B. I was mistaken about her suitability for the position since she proved rather incompetent.
- C. Contrary to my initial impression, she was not totally unsuitable for the position.
- D. I was right in thinking that she was totally useless for the job.
Câu 8: Mã câu hỏi: 27549
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the underlined part that needs correction in each of the following questions.
Fifty minutes are the maximum length of time allotted for the exam.
- A. are
- B. maximum
- C. length
- D. allotted
Câu 9: Mã câu hỏi: 27550
For its establishment, ASEAN Tourism Association has played an important role in promoting and developing ASEAN Tourism services.
- A. Tourism Association
- B. played
- C. in promoting and developing
- D. For its
Câu 10: Mã câu hỏi: 27551
The occean probably distinguishes the earth from other planets of the solar system, for scientists believe that large bodies of water are not existing on the other planets.
- A. probably
- B. for
- C. are not existing
- D. from
Câu 11: Mã câu hỏi: 27559
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions.
You can usually tell when your friends are happy or angry by the looks on their faces or by their actions. This is useful because reading their emotional expressions helps you to know how to respond to them. Emotions have evolved to help us respond to important situations and to convey our intentions to others. But does raising the eyebrows and rounding the mouth say the same thing in Minneapolis as it does in Madagascar? Much research on emotional expressions has centered on such questions.
According to Paul Ekman, the leading researcher in this area, people speak and understand substantially the same "facial language". Studies by Ekman's group have demonstrated that humans share a set of universal emotional expressions that testify to the common biological heritage of the human species. Smiles, for example, signal happiness and frowns indicate sadness on the faces of people in such far- flung places as Argentina, Japan, Spain, Hungary, Poland, Sumatra, the United States, Vietnam, the jungles of New Guinea, and the Eskimo villages north of Artic Circle. Ekman and his colleagues claim that people everywhere can recognize at least seven basic emotions: sadness, fear, anger, disgust, contempt, happiness, and surprise. There are, however, huge differences across cultures in both the context and intensity of emotional displays - the so called display rules. In many Asian cultures, for example, children are taught to control emotional responses - especially negative ones- while many American children are encouraged to express their feelings more openly. Regardless of culture, however, emotions usually show themselves, to some degree, in people's behavior. From their first days of life, babies produce facial expressions that communicate their feelings.
The ability to read facial expressions develops early, too. Very young children pay close attention to facial expressions, and by age five, they nearly equal adults in their skill at reading emotions on people's faces. This evidence all points to a biological underpinning for our abilities to express and interpret a basic set of human emotions. Moreover, as Charles Darwin pointed out over a century ago, some emotional expressions seem to appear across species boundaries. Cross - cultural psychologists tell us that certain emotional responses carry different meanings in different cultures. For example, what emotion do you suppose might be conveyed by sticking out your tongue? For Americans, this might indicate disgust, while in China it can signify surprise. Likewise, a grin on an American face may indicate joy, while on a Japanese face it may just as easily mean embarrassment. Clearly, culture influences emotional expressions.
The word "evolved" is closest in meaning to _________.
- A. developed
- B. simplified
- C. increased
- D. reduced
Câu 12: Mã câu hỏi: 27561
Many studies on emotional expressions try to answer the question whether _________.
- A. raising the eyebrows has similar meaning to rounding the mouth
- B. different cultures have similar emotional expressions
- C. rounding the mouth has the same meaning in Minneapolis and Madagascar
- D. eyebrow raising means the same in Minneapolis and Madagascar
Câu 13: Mã câu hỏi: 27565
Unlike American children, Asian children are encouraged to _______.
- A. change their behaviour
- B. conceal their positive emotions
- C. display their emotions openly
- D. control their emotions
Câu 14: Mã câu hỏi: 27567
The biggest difference lies in __________.
- A. how intensive emotions are expressed
- B. how often positive emotions are shown
- C. how emotional responses are controlled
- D. how long negative emotions are displayed
Câu 15: Mã câu hỏi: 27569
According to the passage, we respond to others by _________.
- A. looking at their faces
- B. observing their looks
- C. watching their actions
- D. observing their emotional expressions
Câu 16: Mã câu hỏi: 27570
Young children __________.
- A. spend a long time learning to read others' emotions
- B. are sensitive towards others' emotions
- C. make amazing progress in controlling their emotions
- D. take time to control their facial expressions
Câu 17: Mã câu hỏi: 27572
The best title for the passage is ________________.
- A. Human habit of displaying emotions
- B. Ways to control emotional expressions
- C. Cultural universals in emotional expressions
- D. Review of research on emotional expressions
Câu 18: Mã câu hỏi: 27574
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions.
Millions of people are using cell phones today. In many places, it is actually considered unusual not to use one. In many countries, cell phones are very popular with young people. They find that the phones are more than a means of communication - having a mobile phone shows that they are cool and connected.
The explosion in mobile phone use around the world has made some health professionals worried. Some doctors are concerned that in the future many people may suffer health problems from the use of mobile phones. In England, there has been a serious debate about this issue. Mobile phone companies are worried about the negative publicity of such ideas. They say that there is no proof that mobile phones are bad for your health.
On the other hand, medical studies have shown changes in the brain cells of some people who use mobile phones. Signs of change in the tissues of the brain and head can be detected with modern scanning equipment. In one case, a traveling salesman had to retire at young age because of serious memory loss. He couldn't remember even simple tasks. He would often forget the name of his own son. This man used to talk on his mobile phone for about six hours a day, every day of his working week, for a couple of years. His family doctor blamed his mobile phone use, but his employer's doctor didn't agree.
What is it that makes mobile phones potentially harmful? The answer is radiation. High-tech machines can detect very small amounts of radiation from mobile phones. Mobile phone companies agree that there is some radiation, but they say the amount is too small to worry about.
As the discussion about their safety continues, it appears that it's best to use mobile phones less often. Use your regular phone if you want to talk for a long time. Use your mobile phone only when you really need it. Mobile phones can be very useful and convenient, especially in emergencies. In the future, mobile phones may have a warning label that says they are bad for your health. So for now, it's wise not to use your mobile phone too often.
The man mentioned in the passage, who used his cell phone too often, ____________.
- A. suffered serious loss of mental ability
- B. abandoned his family
- C. had a problem with memory
- D. could no longer think lucidly
Câu 19: Mã câu hỏi: 27575
Doctors have tentatively concluded that cell phones may ____________.
- A. change their users’ temperament
- B. have damaged their users’ emotions
- C. cause some mental malfunction
- D. change their users’ social behaviours
Câu 20: Mã câu hỏi: 27576
According to the writer, people should ____________.
- A. keep off mobile phones regularly
- B. never use mobile phones in all cases
- C. only use mobile phones in medical emergencies
- D. only use mobile phones in urgent cases
Câu 21: Mã câu hỏi: 27577
The changes possibly caused by the cell phones are mainly concerned with ____________.
- A. the resident memory
- B. the smallest units of the brain
- C. the mobility of the mind and the body
- D. the arteries of the brain
Câu 22: Mã câu hỏi: 27578
According to the passage, cell phones are especially popular with young people because ____________.
- A. they keep the users alert all the time
- B. they make them look more stylish
- C. they are indispensable in everyday communications
- D. they cannot be replaced by regular phones
Câu 23: Mã câu hỏi: 27580
The word "potentially" in the passage most closely means ____________.
- A. possibly
- B. certainly
- C. obviously
- D. privately
Câu 24: Mã câu hỏi: 27584
According to the passage, what makes mobile phones potentially harmful is ____________.
- A. their power of attraction
- B. their raiding power
- C. their radiant light
- D. their invisible rays
Câu 25: Mã câu hỏi: 27585
The phrase "negative publicity" in the passage most likely means ____________.
- A. poor ideas about the effects of cell phones
- B. the negative public use of cell phones
- C. widespread opinion about bad effects of cell phones
- D. information on the lethal effects of cell phones
Câu 26: Mã câu hỏi: 27587
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct word or phrase that best fits the numbered blanks.
Some people return to college as mature students and take full- or part-time training courses in a skill will help them to get a job. The development of open learning, (26)______ it possible to study when it is convenient for the students, has increased the opportunities available (27)_______ many people. This type of study was formerly restricted to book-based learning and (28)________ course but now includes courses on TV, CD-ROM or the Internet, and self-access courses at language or computer centers.
Americans believe that education is important at all stage of life and should not stop (29)________ people get their first job. About 40% of adults take part in some kind of formal education. About half of them are trying to get qualifications and skills to help them with their jobs, the (30)_________ are taking recreational subjects for personal satisfaction. Schools and community colleges arrange evening classes, and a catalog of courses is published by local boards of education.
- A. making
- B. keeping
- C. enabling
- D. finding
Câu 27: Mã câu hỏi: 27588
- A. about
- B. with
- C. to
- D. by
Câu 28: Mã câu hỏi: 27590
- A. corresponding
- B. corresponded
- C. correspondent
- D. correspondence
Câu 29: Mã câu hỏi: 27592
- A. whereas
- B. that
- C. when
- D. otherwise
Câu 30: Mã câu hỏi: 27600
- A. remains
- B. rest
- C. excess
- D. left
Câu 31: Mã câu hỏi: 27603
Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the most suitable response to complete each of the following questions.
The shop assistants: "This is my last portable CD player. I'll let you have it for fifty dollars." - Stevenson: " _____________?"
- A. Could you give me your last CD
- B. Could you give me a disccount
- C. Could you possibly give me fifty dollars
- D. Can you tell me your favourite type of music
Câu 32: Mã câu hỏi: 27604
Customer: "Can I try this jumper on?" - Salesgirl: "_____"
- A. No, the shop is closed in half an hour
- B. Sorry, only cash is accepted here
- C. Yes, it costs one hundred and fifty dollars
- D. Sure, the changing rooms are over there
Câu 33: Mã câu hỏi: 27606
Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word(s) OPPOSITE in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
Ships crossing the oceans can receive signals from satellites that enable them to calculate their position accurately.
- A. carelessly
- B. imprecisely
- C. uneasily
- D. untruthfully
Câu 34: Mã câu hỏi: 27609
He is very absent – minded. He is likely to forget things or to think about something different from what he should be thinking about.
- A. retentive
- B. unforgettable
- C. old – fashioned
- D. easy – going
Câu 35: Mã câu hỏi: 27611
Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word(s) CLOSEST in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
Tet marks the beginning of spring and, for agrarian people who depend on the lunar calendar to manage their crops, the start of the year.
- A. traditional ones
- B. minority people
- C. farmers
- D. old people
Câu 36: Mã câu hỏi: 27617
The government decided to pull down the old building adter asking for the ideas from the local resident.
- A. renovate
- B. purchase
- C. maintain
- D. demolish
Câu 37: Mã câu hỏi: 27618
Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
Paul is a very _______ character, he is never relaxed with strangers.
- A. self-conscious
- B. self-satisfied
- C. self-directed
- D. self-confident
Câu 38: Mã câu hỏi: 27624
Mary’s lawyer advised her_______ anything further about the accident.
- A. not saying
- B. telling
- C. not to say
- D. not tell
Câu 39: Mã câu hỏi: 27627
Many of the pictures_______ from outer space are presently on display in the public library.
- A. sending
- B. sent
- C. having sent
- D. were sent
Câu 40: Mã câu hỏi: 27629
The authorities _______ actions to stop illegal purchase of wild animals and their associated products effectively. However, they didn’t do so.
- A. must have taken
- B. had to take
- C. needed have taken
- D. should have taken
Câu 41: Mã câu hỏi: 27635
Although he is my friend, I find it hard to _______ his selfishness.
- A. put up with
- B. catch up with
- C. keep up with
- D. come down with
Câu 42: Mã câu hỏi: 27636
The U23 Vietnamese football team’s performnce has garnered _____ from around the world and shown promise for Vietnam’s soccer horizon.
- A. attentive
- B. attention
- C. attend
- D. attentively
Câu 43: Mã câu hỏi: 27639
The joke would not be funny if it _______ into French.
- A. has been translated
- B. be translated
- C. was be translated
- D. were translated
Câu 44: Mã câu hỏi: 27640
John congratulated us _____ our exam with high marks.
- A. on passing
- B. for passing
- C. to pass
- D. on pass
Câu 45: Mã câu hỏi: 27649
We expected him at eight, but he finally _______at midnight.
- A. turned up
- B. came off
- C. came to
- D. turned in
Câu 46: Mã câu hỏi: 27651
Everybody is tired of watching the same comercials on TV every night,_______?
- A. are they
- B. aren’t they
- C. haven’t they
- D. don’t they
Câu 47: Mã câu hỏi: 27653
The 1st week of classes at university is a little ______ because so many students get lost, change classes or go to the wrong place.
- A. uncontrolled
- B. arranged
- C. chaotic
- D. notorious
Câu 48: Mã câu hỏi: 27654
After he _____ his work, he went straight home.
- A. would finish
- B. has finished
- C. had finished
- D. has been finishing
Câu 49: Mã câu hỏi: 27657
Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word whose underlined part differs from the other three in pronunciation in each of the following questions.
- A. attempts
- B. conserves
- C. obeys
- D. studies
Câu 50: Mã câu hỏi: 27659
- A. vacation
- B. nation
- C. question
- D. exhibition