Câu hỏi trắc nghiệm (50 câu):
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the sentence that best combines each pair of sentences in the following questions.
Câu 1: Mã câu hỏi: 46276
You have just passed your exam. This makes your parents happy.
- A. Having just passed your exam making your parents happy.
- B. You have just passed your exam makes your parents happy.
- C. That you have just passed your exam makes your parents happy.
- D. You have just passed your exam which it makes your parents happy.
Câu 2: Mã câu hỏi: 46277
You cannot completely avoid stress in your life. You need to find ways to cope with it.
- A. After you can completely avoid stress in your life, you need to find ways to cope with it.
- B. As long as you can completely avoid stress in your lives, you need to find ways to cope with it.
- C. As you cannot completely avoid stress in your life, you need to find ways to cope with it.
- D. Because stress can completely be avoided in your life, you need to find ways to cope with it.
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the underlined part that needs correction in each of the following questions.
Câu 3: Mã câu hỏi: 46278
Their children learn primarily by directly experiencing the world around it.
- A. it
- B. world
- C. experiencing
- D. primarily
Câu 4: Mã câu hỏi: 46279
The number of wildlife habitat reserves have been established in order to save endangered species from extinction.
- A. save
- B. established
- C. have
- D. species
Câu 5: Mã câu hỏi: 46280
Her husband asked her son what did he want for his birthday.
- A. asked
- B. son
- C. his birthday
- D. did he want
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct word or phrase that best fits each of the numbered blanks from 6 to 10.
Researchers in communication show that more feelings and intentions are (6)_______ and received nonverbally than verbally. Mehrabian and Wienerfollowing have stated that only 7% of message is sent through words, with remaining 93% sent nonverbal (7)_______.
Humans use nonverbal communication because:
1. Words have limitations: There are (8)_______ areas where nonverbal communication is more (9)_______ than verbal, especially when we explain the shape, directions, personalities which are expressed nonverbally.
2. Nonverbal signal are powerful: Nonverbal cues primarily express inner feelings while verbal messages deal basically with outside world.
3. Nonverbal message are likely to be more genuine: because nonverbal behaviors cannot be controlled as easily as spoken words.
4. Nonverbal signals can express feelings inappropriate to state: Social etiquette limits what can be said, but nonverbal cues can communicate thoughts.
5. A separate communication channel is necessary to (10)_______ send complex messages: A speaker can add enormously to the complexity of the verbal message through simple nonverbal signals.
Câu 6: Mã câu hỏi: 46281
- A. thrown
- B. mailed
- C. posted
- D. sent
Câu 7: Mã câu hỏi: 46282
- A. postures
- B. expressions
- C. thought
- D. gestures
Câu 8: Mã câu hỏi: 46283
- A. numerous
- B. sum
- C. amount
- D. great deal
Câu 9: Mã câu hỏi: 46284
- A. effectiveness
- B. effect
- C. effectively
- D. effective
Câu 10: Mã câu hỏi: 46285
- A. get
- B. make
- C. have
- D. help
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions .
Computer programmer David Jones earns £35,000 a year designing new computer games, yet he cannot find a bank prepared to let him have a cheque card. Instead, he has been told to wait another two years, until he is 18.
The 16-year-old works for a small firm in Liverpool, where the problem of most young people of his age is finding a job. David's firm releases two new games for the expanding home computer market each month.
But David's biggest headache is what to do with his money.
Despite his salary, earned by inventing new programs within tight schedules, with bonus payments and profit-sharing, he cannot drive a car, take out a mortgage, or obtain credit cards.
He lives with his parents in their council house in Liverpool, where his father is a bus driver. His company has to pay £150 a month in taxi fares to get him the five miles to work and back every day because David cannot drive.
David got his job with the Liverpool-based company four months ago, a year after leaving school with six O-levels and working for a time in a computer shop. "I got the job because the people who run the firm knew I had already written some programs," he said.
"I suppose £35,000 sounds a lot but actually that's being pessimistic. I hope it will come to more than that this year." He spends some of his money on records and clothes, and gives his mother £20 a week. But most his spare time is spent working.
"Unfortunately, computing was not part of our studies at school," he said. "But 1 had been studying it in books and 'magazines for four years in my spare time. 1 knew what 1 wanted to do and never considered staying on at school. Most people in this business are fairly young, anyway."
David added: "I would like to earn a million and 1 suppose early retirement is a possibility. You never know when the market might disappear."
Câu 11: Mã câu hỏi: 46286
Why is David different from other young people at his age?
- A. He earns an extremely high salary.
- B. He lives at home with his parents.
- C. He does not go out much.
- D. He is not unemployed.
Câu 12: Mã câu hỏi: 46287
David's greatest problem is _______
- A. learning to drive.
- B. spending his salary.
- C. inventing computer games.
- D. making the banks treat him as an adult.
Câu 13: Mã câu hỏi: 46288
He was employed by the company because _______
- A. he works very hard.
- B. he had written some computer programs.
- C. he had worked in a computer shop.
- D. he had learnt to use computers at school.
Câu 14: Mã câu hỏi: 46289
He left school after taking O-levels because _______
- A. he was afraid of getting too old to start computing.
- B. he did not enjoy school.
- C. he wanted to work with computers and staying at school did not help him.
- D. he wanted to earn a lot of money.
Câu 15: Mã câu hỏi: 46290
Why does David think he might retire early?
- A. He wants to stop working when he is a millionaire.
- B. You have to be young to write computer programs.
- C. He thinks his firm might go bankrupt.
- D. He thinks computer games might not always sell so well.
Câu 16: Mã câu hỏi: 46291
The word "pessimistic" in the reading passage probably means_______
- A. easy
- B. negative
- C. optimistic
- D. positive
Câu 17: Mã câu hỏi: 46292
The word "releases" in the reading passage can be replaced by_______
- A. imports
- B. holds
- C. discharges
- D. dissolves
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word whose underlined part differs from the other three in pronunciation in each of the following questions.
Câu 18: Mã câu hỏi: 46293
- A. hated
- B. watched
- C. decided
- D. wanted
Câu 19: Mã câu hỏi: 46294
- A. group
- B. couple
- C. double
- D. trouble
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
Câu 20: Mã câu hỏi: 46295
Of the two sisters, Thuy Kieu is the _______ .
- A. eldest
- B. elder
- C. eldly
- D. most eldly
Câu 21: Mã câu hỏi: 46296
All applicants _______ hand in their application forms by Friday at the latest.
- A. may
- B. must
- C. ought
- D. might
Câu 22: Mã câu hỏi: 46297
At the end of the film, the young prince _______ in love with a reporter.
- A. felt
- B. made
- C. fell
- D. got
Câu 23: Mã câu hỏi: 46298
As we wanted to be close to_______nature, we moved to the countryside.
- A. Ø
- B. a
- C. an
- D. the
Câu 24: Mã câu hỏi: 46299
Sex before _______ is strongly disapproved in some cultures.
- A. get married
- B. marry
- C. marriage
- D. married
Câu 25: Mã câu hỏi: 46300
Those _______ boys often play tricks on their friends.
- A. mischievous
- B. obedient
- C. honest
- D. well-behaved
Câu 26: Mã câu hỏi: 46301
The child _______ parents both died is called an orphan.
- A. which
- B. who
- C. that
- D. whose
Câu 27: Mã câu hỏi: 46302
You were wrong _______ her for something she didn't do.
- A. criticizing
- B. so as to criticize
- C. to criticize
- D. that criticizing
Câu 28: Mã câu hỏi: 46303
He is going to marry a _______ girl next month.
- A. tall pretty English
- B. pretty tall English
- C. pretty English tall
- D. tall English pretty
Câu 29: Mã câu hỏi: 46304
Who will _______ your baby when you are at work?
- A. take after
- B. take on
- C. take over
- D. take care of
Câu 30: Mã câu hỏi: 46305
Not until a few years ago_______ playing football.
- A. did he start
- B. he has started
- C. he started
- D. had he started
Câu 31: Mã câu hỏi: 46306
Mary is very_______ and caring. - I think she would make a good nurse.
- A. mischievous
- B. effect
- C. efficient
- D. disobedient
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word(s) OPPOSITE in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
Câu 32: Mã câu hỏi: 46307
You will be home and dry in the interview if you have good qualifications and wide experience.
- A. be successful
- B. be unsuccessful
- C. be satisfied
- D. be unsatisfied
Câu 33: Mã câu hỏi: 46308
She denied having stolen his mother's money.
- A. refused
- B. admitted
- C. insisted on
- D. reminded
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word that differs from the other three in the position of primary stress in each of the following questions.
Câu 34: Mã câu hỏi: 46309
- A. interesting
- B. photocopy
- C. difficult
- D. effective
Câu 35: Mã câu hỏi: 46310
- A. singer
- B. future
- C. reply
- D. answer
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word(s) CLOSEST in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
Câu 36: Mã câu hỏi: 46311
Not until all their demands had been turned down did the workers decide to go on strike for more welfair.
- A. rejected
- B. sacked
- C. reviewed
- D. detected
Câu 37: Mã câu hỏi: 46312
If the manager were here, he would sign your paper immediately.
- A. right ahead
- B. currently
- C. formally
- D. right away
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions from 38 to 45.
A rather surprisingly geographical feature of Antarctica is that a huge freshwater lake, one of the world's largest and deepest, lies hidden there under four kilometers of ice. Now known as Lake Vostok, this huge body of water is located under the ice block that comprises Antarctica. The lake is able to exist in its unfrozen state beneath this block of ice because its waters are warmed by geothermal heat from the earth's core. The thick glacier above Lake Vostok actually insulates it from the frigid temperature (the lowest ever recorded on Earth) on the surface.
The lake was first discovered in the 1970s while a research team was conducting an aerial survey of the area. Radio waves from the survey equipment penetrated the ice and revealed a body of water of indeterminate size. It was not until much more recently that data collected by satellite made scientist aware of the tremendous size of the lake; satellite -borne radar detected an extremely flat region where the ice remains level because it is floating on the water of the lake.
The discovery of such a huge freshwater lake trapped under Antarctic is of interest to the scientific community because of potential that the lake contains ancient microbes that have survived for thousands upon thousands of years, unaffected by factors such as nuclear fallout and elevated ultraviolet light that have affected organisms in more exposed areas. The downside of the discovery, however, lies in the difficulty of conducting research on the lake in such a harsh climate and in the problems associated with obtaining uncontaminated samples from the lake without actually exposing the lake to contamination. Scientists are looking for possible ways to accomplish this.
Câu 38: Mã câu hỏi: 46313
The passage mentions which of the following as a reason for the importance of Lake Vostok?
- A. It may contain uncontaminated microbes.
- B. It can be studied using radio waves.
- C. It has already been contaminated.
- D. It may have elevated levels of ultraviolet light.
Câu 39: Mã câu hỏi: 46314
All of the following are true about the 1970 survey of Antarctica EXCEPT that it______.
- A. was conducted by air
- B. made use of radio waves
- C. did not measure the exact size of the lake
- D. was controlled by a satellite
Câu 40: Mã câu hỏi: 46315
The paragraph following the passage most probably discusses_______
- A. problems with satellite- borne radar equipment
- B. the harsh climate of Antarctica.
- C. further discoveries on the surface of Antarctica
- D. ways to study Lake Vostok without contaminating it
Câu 41: Mã câu hỏi: 46316
The word "microbes" in paragraph 3 could be best be replaced by which of the following?
- A. Pieces of dust
- B. Tiny organisms
- C. Rays of light
- D. Trapped bubbles
Câu 42: Mã câu hỏi: 46317
Which of the following is closet in meaning to "frigid" in paragraph 1?
- A. Rarely recorded
- B. Extremely cold
- C. Never changing
- D. Quite harsh
Câu 43: Mã câu hỏi: 46318
The purpose of the passage is to ______.
- A. explain how Lake Vostok was discovered
- B. provide satellite data concerning Antarctica
- C. present an expected aspect of Antarctica's geography
- D. discuss future plans for Lake Vostok
Câu 44: Mã câu hỏi: 46319
It can be inferred from the passage that the ice would not be flat if ______
- A. radio waves were not used
- B. Antarctica were not so cold
- C. There were no lake
- D. the lake was not so big
Câu 45: Mã câu hỏi: 46320
What is true of Lake Vostok?
- A. It is beneath a thick slab of ice
- B. It is completely frozen
- C. It is heated by the sun
- D. It is not a saltwater lake
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the most suitable response to complete each of the following exchanges.
Câu 46: Mã câu hỏi: 46321
Mr Smith is having lunch in a restaurant.
~ Mr Smith "Could you bring me some water?" ~ Waiter: "_______"
- A. No, thanks.
- B. Of course you can.
- C. I'm afraid not.
- D. Certainly, sir.
Câu 47: Mã câu hỏi: 46322
Mary and John are talking about John's new house.
~ Mary: "What a lovely house you have" ~ John: "_______"
- A. Thanks. Hope you will drop in.
- B. I think so.
- C. No problem.
- D. Of course, thanks.
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the sentence that is closest in meaning to each of the following questions.
Câu 48: Mã câu hỏi: 46323
"If I were you, I'd ask the teacher for help" he said.
- A. He suggested asking the teacher for help.
- B. He said if he was me, he would ask the teacher for help.
- C. He advised me to ask the teacher for help.
- D. He told me that he'd ask the teacher for help.
Câu 49: Mã câu hỏi: 46324
Is it necessary to meet the manager at the airport?
- A. Did the manager have to be met at the airport?
- B. Does the manager have to be met at the airport?
- C. Is the manager had to be met at the airport?
- D. Does the manager have to meet at the airport?
Câu 50: Mã câu hỏi: 46325
He was successful in his career thanks to his parents' support.
- A. But for his parents' support, he wouldn't have been successful in his career.
- B. If his parents hadn't supported him, he would have been successful in his career.
- C. Had it not been for his parents' support, he wouldn't be successful in his career.
- D. Had his parents supported him, he wouldn't be successful in his career.