Câu hỏi trắc nghiệm (50 câu):
Choose a word in each line that has different stress pattern
Câu 1: Mã câu hỏi: 46326
- A. catastrophic
- B. preservation
- C. fertilizer
- D. electronic
Câu 2: Mã câu hỏi: 46327
- A. participant
- B. individual
- C. publicity
- D. competitive
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the underlined part that needs correction in each of the following questions
Câu 3: Mã câu hỏi: 46328
Vietnam exports a lot of rice is grown mainly in the south of the country.
- A. exports
- B. is grown
- C. in
- D. of
Câu 4: Mã câu hỏi: 46329
He passed the exam with high scores, that made his parents happy.
- A. passed
- B. with
- C. that
- D. happy
Câu 5: Mã câu hỏi: 46330
To attract someone‟s attention, we can use either verbal and non-verbal forms of communication.
- A. attract
- B. can use
- C. and non-verbal
- D. communication
Choose the word in each group that has the underlined part pronounced differrently from the rest
Câu 6: Mã câu hỏi: 46331
- A. fossil
- B. session
- C. discuss
- D. progress
Câu 7: Mã câu hỏi: 46332
- A. talked
- B. naked
- C. liked
- D. asked
Choose the best answer for each of the following sentences
Câu 8: Mã câu hỏi: 46333
………, no one was absent from the farewell party last night.
- A. Heavily as it rained
- B. As it rained heavily
- C. Though it rains heavily
- D. In spite of heavily rain
Câu 9: Mã câu hỏi: 46334
He had changed so much since the last time we met that I …….. him.
- A. could recognize
- B. could hardly recognize
- C. wouldn’t have recognized
- D. don’t recognize
Câu 10: Mã câu hỏi: 46335
Jane cooks well……..she hates washing up afterwards.
- A. however
- B. therefore
- C. so
- D. but
Câu 11: Mã câu hỏi: 46336
……..his brother, Petter is active and friendly.
- A. Alike
- B. Unlike
- C. Dislike
- D. Liking
Câu 12: Mã câu hỏi: 46337
Tom’s eyes were red ……..he had been swimming in a chlorinated pool.
- A. so
- B. but
- C. because
- D. in case
Câu 13: Mã câu hỏi: 46338
Lucy was late for school this morning because the alarm didn’t ……..as usual.
- A. ring off
- B. get off
- C. go off
- D. take off
Câu 14: Mã câu hỏi: 46339
A sudden idea ……..to the cyclist that he might try the new method.
- A. occurred
- B. happened
- C. took place
- D. took part
Câu 15: Mã câu hỏi: 46340
She asked me …….. I was looking at.
- A. when
- B. if
- C. what
- D. why
Câu 16: Mã câu hỏi: 46341
We need to import……..from abroad.
- A. a great deal of sports equipment
- B. many sports equipments
- C. a sports equipment
- D. many pieces of sports equipment
Câu 17: Mã câu hỏi: 46342
…….. these books to the library, as they will soon overdue.
- A. Bring
- B. Take
- C. Fetch
- D. Leave
Câu 18: Mã câu hỏi: 46343
Larry was so……..in his novel that he forgot about his dinner cooking in the oven.
- A. absorbed
- B. attracted
- C. drawn
- D. obliged
Câu 19: Mã câu hỏi: 46344
“Sorry for being late. I was …….. in the traffic for more than an hour.”
- A. carried on
- B. held up
- C. put off
- D. taken after
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the sentence that is CLOSEST in meaning to each of the following questions
Câu 20: Mã câu hỏi: 46345
I’m sure Luisa was very disappointed when she failed the exam.
- A. Luisa must be very disappointed when she failed the exam.
- B. Luisa must have been very disappointed when she failed the exam.
- C. Luisa may be very disappointed when she failed the exam.
- D. Luisa could have been very disappointed when she failed the exam.
Câu 21: Mã câu hỏi: 46346
“You had better see a doctor if the sore throat does not clear up.” she said to me.
- A. She reminded me of seeing a doctor if the sore throat did not clear up.
- B. She ordered me to see a doctor if the sore throat did not clear up.
- C. She insisted that I see a doctor unless the sore throat did not clear up.
- D. She suggested that I see a doctor if the sore throat did not clear up.
Câu 22: Mã câu hỏi: 46347
Without her teacher’s advice, she would never have written such a good essay.
- A. Her teacher advised him and she didn't write a good essay.
- B. Her teacher didn't advise her and she didn't write a good essay.
- C. She wrote a good essay as her teacher gave her some advice.
- D. If her teacher didn't advise her, she wouldnt write such a good essay.
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on you answer sheet to indicate the sentence that best combines each pair of sentences in the following questions.
Câu 23: Mã câu hỏi: 46348
She tried very hard to pass the driving test. She could hardly pass it.
- A. Although she didn't try hard to pass the driving test, she could pass it.
- B. Despite being able to pass the driving test, she didn't pass it.
- C. No matter how hard she tried, she could hardly pass the driving test.
- D. She tried very hard, so she passed the driving test satisfactorily.
Câu 24: Mã câu hỏi: 46349
Mary loved her stuffed animal when she was young. She couldn’t sleep without it.
- A. When Mary was young, she loved her stuffed animal so much that she couldn't sleep without it.
- B. When Mary was young, she loved her stuffed animal so as not to sleep without it.
- C. When Mary was young, she loved her stuffed animal though she couldn't sleep without it.
- D. As Mary couldn't sleep without her stuffed animal when Mary was young, she loved it.
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the most suitable response to complete each of the following exchanges.
Câu 25: Mã câu hỏi: 46350
- "Excuse me. Where‟s the parking lot?" - “…………”
- A. Why do you ask me? I don‟t know.
- B. Do you get lost? I do too.
- C. You missed the turn. It‟s back that way
- D. You are going the wrong way. It‟s not here.
Câu 26: Mã câu hỏi: 46351
Mary is talking to a porter in the hotel lobby.
- Porter: "Shall I help you with your suitcase?” - Mary: “…………”
- A. Not a chance.
- B. That‟s very kind of you.
- C. I can‟t agree more.
- D. What a pity!
Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word(s) CLOSEST in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
Câu 27: Mã câu hỏi: 46352
Students are expected to always (adhere) to school regulations.
- A. question
- B. violate
- C. disregard
- D. follow
Câu 28: Mã câu hỏi: 46353
A number of programs have been initiated to provide food and shelter for (the underprivileged) in the remote areas of the country.
- A. rich citizens
- B. active members
- C. poor inhabitants
- D. enthusiastic people
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word(s) OPPOSITE in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
Câu 29: Mã câu hỏi: 46354
Driver are advised to get enough petrol because filling stations are (few and far between) on the highway.
- A. easy to find
- B. difficult to access
- C. unlikely to happen
- D. impossible to reach
Câu 30: Mã câu hỏi: 46355
We managed to get to school (in time) despite the heavy rain.
- A. earlier than a particular moment
- B. later than expected
- C. early enough to do something
- D. as long as expected
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer for each of the questions.
Understanding India's Caste System
It has been said that life is what we make of it. In other words, if we work hard and focus on our goals, we can have great careers and enjoy high status is society. However, these opportunities don‟t exist for everyone. In some places, the family you are born into will decide almost everything about your life. India‟s caste system is an example of this.
The caste system is a major part of the Hindu religion that has existed for thousands of years. It is a way of organizing and grouping people based on the occupation of the family. Castes will determine whom people can socialize with and their place in society. Originally, a person‟s caste was supposed to be determined by their personality, but over time it has been linked to their job and family.
There are four classes, also known as varnas, in India‟s caste system. The highest one is Brahmin. People in this class have jobs in education and religion. These are seen as extremely important functions for the society as they deal with the knowledge. The second highest level is the Kshatriya, or ruling class. People from this group can be soldiers, landowners, or have jobs in politics. The class beneath this is the Vaishya. These people often work in the commercial sector as merchants. The fourth class level is the Shudra. Shudras typically work as unskilled labourers doing factory or farm work, or they may also be employed as artists.
There is another group, the Harijan, that is at the bottom and considered to be outside of the caste system. For many years, they were known as Untouchables, people from this caste held the most undesirable jobs in society, such as cleaning up garbage. Furthermore, they weren‟t allowed to pray at public temples or drink water from the same wells as other classes. If someone from another caste came into contact with an Untouchable, they were considered dirty and would be expected to bathe vigorously to clean themselves.
Although the caste system still exists in India, the government is taking steps to improve the living conditions and decrease unemployment rates for the Shudras and Harijan. This includes providing better health care, offering literacy programmes, and making sure that people from higher social classes do not exploit them. It seems unlikely that the caste system will disappear any time soon, but the overall conditions for those at the bottom do seem to be improving.
Câu 31: Mã câu hỏi: 46356
Which of the following is not true about India's caste system?
- A. The caste system has been used in India for a long time.
- B. The Kshatriya is the second highest class.
- C. Hard work helps people move up in the caste system.
- D. It is possible that a Shudra would work on a farm.
Câu 32: Mã câu hỏi: 46357
The word “this” in paragraph 1 refers to ________.
- A. the fact that your origin will mostly decide your future
- B. the pleasure of life in India
- C. the India’s caste system existing for thousands of years
- D. the major part of the Hindu religion
Câu 33: Mã câu hỏi: 46358
What is the caste system mainly based on?
- A. What a person believes on
- B. When a person starts school
- C. Who a person’s parents are
- D. Where a person was born
Câu 34: Mã câu hỏi: 46359
What kind of job would a Brahmin likely have?
- A. A priest
- B. A warrior
- C. An inventor
- D. A painter
Câu 35: Mã câu hỏi: 46360
What could replace the word “ruling” in paragraph 3?
- A. defeating
- B. guessing
- C. delaying
- D. governing
Câu 36: Mã câu hỏi: 46361
All of the following are true about the Harijan EXCEPT that ________.
- A. they used to be known as Untouchables
- B. they had to do undesirable jobs in society
- C. any contact between someone from another caste with an Untouchable was considered unacceptable
- D. anyone from another caste coming to contact with an Untouchable is not allowed to pray at temples
Câu 37: Mã câu hỏi: 46362
What does the passage suggest about the future of the caste system?
- A. One day soon it won‟t be used anymore in India.
- B. It is probably going to get worse before it gets better.
- C. The bottom groups will rise to rule over the top classes.
- D. It will likely continue to exist for a long time in India.
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer for each of the questions.
Throughout the world there are different ways for people to greet each other. In much of the world, a handshake is the (38) __________ form of welcoming and greeting someone. In many countries around the Mediterranean Sea a (39) ___________ kiss on the cheek is the appropriate way to welcome friends and family. It can be a very (40) __________ surprise if you expect to shake hands and get a kiss or a hug instead.
At times, it is difficult to tell what sort of greeting (41) ___________ is followed. People may bow, grab another‟s arm or even slap the other person on the back. In some places people just smile, look at the other‟s face and say nothing.
Most people in the world are tolerant of visitors and don‟t mind what travellers do that seems wrong as long as the visitors are (42)__________. A big part of the delightfulness of world travel is experiencing different customs.
Câu 38: Mã câu hỏi: 46365
- A. different
- B. unique
- C. common
- D. same
Câu 39: Mã câu hỏi: 46366
- A. light
- B. superficial
- C. fast
- D. heavy
Câu 40: Mã câu hỏi: 46367
- A. huge
- B. large
- C. big
- D. great
Câu 41: Mã câu hỏi: 46369
- A. habit
- B. routine
- C. custom
- D. tradition
Câu 42: Mã câu hỏi: 46370
- A. sincere
- B. truthful
- C. faithful
- D. hopeful
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer for each of the questions
Humans have struggled against weeds since the beginnings of agriculture. Marring our gardens is one of the milder effects of weeds – any plants that thrive where they are unwanted. They clog waterways, destroy wildlife habitats, and impede farming. Their spread eliminates grazing areas and accounts for one-third of all crop loss. They compete for sunlight, nutrients, and water with useful plants.
The global need for weed control had been answered mainly by the chemical industry. Its herbicides are effective and sometimes necessary, but some pose serious problems, particularly if misused. Toxic compounds threaten animal and public health when they accumulate in food plants, groundwater, and drinking water. They also harm workers who apply them.
In recent years, the chemical industry has introduced several herbicides that are more ecologically sound. Yet new chemicals alone cannot solve the world‟s weed problems. Hence, scientists are exploring the innate weed-killing powers of living organisms, primarily insects and microorganisms.
The biological agents now in use are environmentally benign and are harmless to humans. They can be chosen for their ability to attack selected targets and leave crops and other plants untouched. In contrast, some of the most effective chemicals kill virtually all the plants they come in contact with, sparing only those that are naturally resistant or have been genetically modified for resistance. Furthermore, a number of biological agents can be administered only once, after which no added applications are needed. Chemicals typically must be used several times per growing season.
Câu 43: Mã câu hỏi: 46371
With what topic does this passage primarily deal?
- A. The dangers of toxic chemicals.
- B. A proposal to ban the use of all herbicides.
- C. The importance of the chemical industry.
- D. Advantages of biological agents over chemical ones.
Câu 44: Mã câu hỏi: 46372
The word ‘marring’ in bold is closest in meaning to
- A. planting
- B. spoiling
- C. dividing
- D. replacing
Câu 45: Mã câu hỏi: 46373
The word ‘clog’ in bold is closest in meaning to
- A. drain
- B. grow along
- C. obstruct
- D. float on
Câu 46: Mã câu hỏi: 46374
Which of the following terms does the author define in the first paragraph?
- A. grazing area
- B. weeds
- C. nutrients
- D. wildlife habitats
Câu 47: Mã câu hỏi: 46375
Which of the following statements about the use of chemical agents as herbicides would the author most likely agree?
- A. It has become more dangerous recently.
- B. It is occasionally required.
- C. It is safe but inefficient.
- D. It should be increased.
Câu 48: Mã câu hỏi: 46376
The word ‘innate’ in bold is closest in meaning to
- A. effective
- B. natural
- C. active
- D. organic
Câu 49: Mã câu hỏi: 46377
The word ‘applications’ in bold could best be replaced by which of the following?
- A. treatments
- B. requests
- C. special purposes
- D. qualifications
Câu 50: Mã câu hỏi: 46378
Which of the following best describes the organization of the passage?
- A. Two possible causes of a phenomenon are compared.
- B. A problem is described and possible solutions are discussed.
- C. A general idea is introduced and several specific examples are given.
- D. A recommendation is analysed and rejected.