Câu hỏi trắc nghiệm (50 câu):
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
Câu 1: Mã câu hỏi: 46225
The energy _______ from the sun is renewable and environmentally-friendly.
- A. harnessing
- B. is harnessed
- C. which harnessed
- D. harnessed
Câu 2: Mã câu hỏi: 46226
We truly respected our father and always _______ by his rule.
- A. submitted
- B. obeyed
- C. complied
- D. abode
Câu 3: Mã câu hỏi: 46227
The architects have made _______ use of glass and transparent plastic.
- A. imaginative
- B. imagine
- C. imagination
- D. imaginatively
Câu 4: Mã câu hỏi: 46228
Tom denied _______ part in the fighting at school.
- A. to take
- B. take
- C. to taking
- D. taking
Câu 5: Mã câu hỏi: 46229
Your brother hardly talks to anyone, _______?
- A. does he
- B. is he
- C. doesn’t he
- D. isn’t he
Câu 6: Mã câu hỏi: 46230
Pesticide residues in fruit and vegetable can be _______ to health.
- A. crucial
- B. supportive
- C. receptive
- D. destructive
Câu 7: Mã câu hỏi: 46231
You looked exhausted. I think you’ve _______ more than you can handle.
- A. turned on
- B. taken up
- C. turned up
- D. taken on
Câu 8: Mã câu hỏi: 46232
Only after she had finished the course did she realize she _____ a wrong choice.
- A. had made
- B. has made
- C. had been making
- D. was making
Câu 9: Mã câu hỏi: 46233
It ______ Sue that you saw last night. She’s abroad with her family.
- A. should have been
- B. must have been
- C. can’t have been
- D. needn’t have been
Câu 10: Mã câu hỏi: 46234
If Paul _______ a job now, he wouldn’t be so unhappy.
- A. has
- B. has had
- C. had
- D. would have
Câu 11: Mã câu hỏi: 46235
The wine had made him a little _______ and couldn’t control his movement.
- A. narrow-minded
- B. light-headed
- C. light-footed
- D. light-hearted
Câu 12: Mã câu hỏi: 46236
You need to make ______ about what course to take at university.
- A. a decision
- B. a fortune
- C. a guess
- D. an impression
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the most suitable response to complete each of the following exchanges.
Câu 13: Mã câu hỏi: 46237
Mike an Joe are talking about transport in the future.
- Mike: “Do you think there will be pilotless planes?”
– Joe: “_____”
- A. I’m afraid I can’t.
- B. What for? There are quite a few around.
- C. Why not? There have been cars without drivers.
- D. I’m glad you like it.
Câu 14: Mã câu hỏi: 46238
Julie and Ann are talking about their classmate.
- Julie: “_______” - Ann: “Yeah, not bad, I suppose.”
- A. Do you see him often?
- B. What are you thinking?
- C. How did you meet him?
- D. He is quite good-looking, isn’t he?
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word(s) CLOSEST in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
Câu 15: Mã câu hỏi: 46239
The way the care-taker treated those little children was deplorable. She must be punished for what she did.
- A. respectable
- B. unacceptable
- C. mischievous
- D. satisfactory
Câu 16: Mã câu hỏi: 46240
My parent’ warnings didn’t deter me from choosing the job of my dreams.
- A. influence
- B. discourage
- C. reassure
- D. inspire
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word that differs from the other three in the position of primary stress in each of the following questions.
Câu 17: Mã câu hỏi: 46241
- A. quality
- B. solution
- C. compliment
- D. energy
Câu 18: Mã câu hỏi: 46242
- A. angry
- B. complete
- C. polite
- D. secure
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct word or phrase that best fits each of the numbered blanks from 19 to 23.
My first job was a sales assistant at a large department store. I wanted to work part-time, because I was still studying at university and I was only able to work a few nights a week.
I came across the advertisement in the local newspaper. I remember the interview as though it were yesterday. The (19) ________ manager sat behind a large desk. He asked me various questions which surprised me because all I wanted was to work in sales. An hours later, I was told that I had got the job and was given a contract to go over. I was to be trained for ten days before I took my post. Also, as a member of staff, I was (20) ______ to some benefits, including discounts.
When I eventually started, I was responsible (21) _______ the toy section. I really enjoyed it there and I loved demonstrating the different toys. I was surprised at how friendly my colleagues were, too. They made working there fun even when we had to deal with customers (22) ______ got on our nerves. (23) _______, working there was a great experience which I will never forget.
Câu 19: Mã câu hỏi: 46243
- A. personal
- B. personable
- C. personage
- D. personnel
Câu 20: Mã câu hỏi: 46244
- A. catered
- B. given
- C. entitled
- D. supplied
Câu 21: Mã câu hỏi: 46245
- A. for
- B. with
- C. in
- D. to
Câu 22: Mã câu hỏi: 46246
- A. which
- B. why
- C. when
- D. who
Câu 23: Mã câu hỏi: 46247
- A. In contrast
- B. However
- C. Moreover
- D. On the whole
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word whose underlined part differs from the other three in pronunciation in each of the following questions.
Câu 24: Mã câu hỏi: 46248
- A. visits
- B. destroys
- C. believes
- D. depends
Câu 25: Mã câu hỏi: 46249
- A. floor
- B. door
- C. noodle
- D. board
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions.
Millions of people are using cellphones today. In many places, it is actually considered unusual not to use one. In many countries, cellphones are very popular with young people. They find that the phones are more than a means of communication - having a mobile phone shows that they are cool and connected.
The explosion in mobile phone use around the world has made some health professionals worried. Some doctors are concerned that in the future many people may suffer health problems from the use of mobile phones. In England, there has been a serious debate about this issue. Mobile phone companies are worried about the negative publicity of such ideas. They say that there is no proof that mobile phones are bad for your health.
On the other hand, medical studies have shown changes in the brain cells of some people who use mobile phones. Signs of change in the tissues of the brain and head can be detected with modern scanning equipment. In one case, a traveling salesman had to retire at young age because of serious memory loss. He couldn't remember even simple tasks. He would often forget the name of his own son. This man used to talk on his mobile phone for about six hours a day, every day of his working week, for a couple of years. His family doctor blamed his mobile phone use, but his employer's doctor didn't agree.
What is it that makes mobile phones potentially harmful? The answer is radiation. High-tech machines can detect very small amounts of radiation from mobile phones. Mobile phone companies agree that there is some radiation, but they say the amount is too small to worry about.
As the discussion about their safety continues, it appears that it's best to use mobile phones less often. Use your regular phone if you want to talk for a long time. Use your mobile phone only when you really need it. Mobile phones can be very useful and convenient, especially in emergencies. In the future, mobile phones may have a warning label that says they are bad for your health. So for now, it's wise not to use your mobile phone too often.
Câu 26: Mã câu hỏi: 46250
The word “they” in paragraph 2 refers to _______.
- A. doctors
- B. ideas
- C. professionals
- D. companies
Câu 27: Mã câu hỏi: 46251
The phrase “negative publicity” in paragraph 2 most likely means _______.
- A. poor ideas about the effects of cellphones
- B. information on the lethal effects of cellphones
- C. the negative public use of cellphones
- D. widespread opinion about bad effect of cellphones
Câu 28: Mã câu hỏi: 46252
According to the passage, cellphones are very popular with young people because _______.
- A. they make them look more stylish
- B. they are worrying
- C. they are a means of communication
- D. they are considered unusual
Câu 29: Mã câu hỏi: 46253
What could be the most suitable title for the passage?
- A. Technological Innovations and Their Price
- B. The Way Mobile Phones Work
- C. Mobile Phones: A Must of Our Time
- D. The Reasons Why Mobile Phones Are Popular
Câu 30: Mã câu hỏi: 46254
The word “potentially” in paragraph 4 is closet in meaning to _______.
- A. possibly
- B. privately
- C. obviously
- D. certainly
Câu 31: Mã câu hỏi: 46255
According to the passage, people should _______.
- A. only use mobile phones in medical emergencies
- B. never use mobile phones in all cases
- C. only use mobile phone in urgent cases
- D. keep off mobile phones regularly
Câu 32: Mã câu hỏi: 46256
According to paragraph 3, the salesman _______.
- A. couldn’t remember his name
- B. blamed his doctor
- C. had a problem with memory
- D. had to retire because of his age
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word(s) OPPOSITE in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
Câu 33: Mã câu hỏi: 46257
I think it’s impossible to abolish school examinations. They are necessary to evaluate students’ progress.
- A. stop
- B. extinguish
- C. continue
- D. organize
Câu 34: Mã câu hỏi: 46258
At first, no one believed she was a pilot, but her documents lent colour to her statements.
- A. provided evidence for
- B. got information from
- C. borrowed colour from
- D. gave no proof of
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the question.
TRAVELING TO WORK
If you were going to choose a job that involves travel, what would be your first choice? There are many jobs available today that give people opportunities to travel. Although may traveling careers sound fantastic, they also have disadvantages.
- Being an au pair is an excellent way to not only go to different countries, but to live in different places around the world and really get a feel for the culture. Au pairs lives with the families they are placed with and take of children. Many parents include au pairs in family events and vacations, so they experience many aspects of the new culture while on the job. However, many of the activities are centered around the children, so they may not get to experience many things that interest adults.
- For people who want a bit more freedom working abroad, being an English teacher maybe a good choice. There are English teaching jobs in almost countries in the world. People teaching English in other countries often have a chance to travel on the weekends around the country. One drawback is that many teachers often wind up hanging out with other English teachers, and they don’t have time to learn the country’s language.
- The nickname “roadie” implies that this job involves life on the road. Roadies are people who work and travel with bands and provide technical support. Roadies can be lighting and stage crew who set up the stage and break it down before and after events. They can also be technicians helping band members with their instruments. International tours take a band’s crew to cities around the world, often requiring air travel. However, the crew doesn’t get much time off, so they may travel to several countries without seeing much besides concert venues and hotels.
- Similarly, flight attendants often travel to cities around the world, but they don’t see much besides the inside of airplanes and hotels. However, when they do have time off, they can often fly at no cost, and family member can sometimes fly free as well. Its is widely thought that a flight attendant job is glamorous, but flight attendants must deal with travel hassles, as well as security issues.
- All jobs gave advantages and disadvantages whether or not you travel for work, so if you have the travel bug, keep these jobs in mind for the future.
Câu 35: Mã câu hỏi: 46259
Which of the following is a disadvantage of the job as an au pair?
- A. experience many interesting things
- B. live in different places around the world
- C. experience many aspects of the new culture
- D. most activities are centered around children
Câu 36: Mã câu hỏi: 46260
What does the passage mainly discuss?
- A. Jobs with opportunities to travel
- B. Disadvantages of travelling jobs
- C. Travelling to and from work
- D. Jobs involving traveling by planes
Câu 37: Mã câu hỏi: 46261
The word “glamorous” in paragraph 5 is closet in meaning to _______.
- A. skilled
- B. attractive
- C. permanent
- D. challenging
Câu 38: Mã câu hỏi: 46262
How is a flight attendant’s job similar to a roadie’s?
- A. Family members may not have to pay for flights.
- B. They must deal with travel hassles.
- C. A lot of time is spent indoors.
- D. They provide technical support.
Câu 39: Mã câu hỏi: 46263
The word “venue” in paragraph 4 is closet meaning to _______?
- A. performances
- B. places
- C. tours
- D. artists
Câu 40: Mã câu hỏi: 46264
The word “they” in paragraph 1 refers to _______?
- A. people
- B. opportunities
- C. careers
- D. disadvantages
Câu 41: Mã câu hỏi: 46265
Which of the following is something a roadie might do?
- A. set up the lights for a performance
- B. play the guitar in front of a large audience
- C. clean hotel rooms after the ban and crew have left
- D. work on the road
Câu 42: Mã câu hỏi: 46266
It can be inferred from the passage that _______.
- A. travelling careers have more disadvantages than many other
- B. English teachers abroad don’t know the language of the country where they work
- C. it’s essential that the job you choose have more benefits than drawbacks
- D. people who want to travel are more likely to get a job
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the sentence that is closest in meaning to each of the following questions
Câu 43: Mã câu hỏi: 46267
“I haven’t been very open-minded,” said the manager.
- A. The manager promised to be very open-minded.
- B. The manager admitted not having been very open-minded.
- C. The manager denied having been very open-minded.
- D. The manager refused to have been very open-minded.
Câu 44: Mã câu hỏi: 46268
They believe that burning fossil fuels is the main cause of air pollution.
- A. It is believed that burning fossil fuels is held responsible for air pollution.
- B. Burning fossil fuels is believed to result from air pollution.
- C. Burning fossil fuels is believed to have caused high levels of air pollution.
- D. It is believed that air pollution is mainly to blame for burning fossil fuels.
Câu 45: Mã câu hỏi: 46269
Peter used to work as a journalist for a local newspaper.
- A. Peter enjoyed working as a journalist for a local newspaper.
- B. Peter no longer likes the job as a journalist for a local newspaper.
- C. Peter has stopped working as a journalist for a local newspaper.
- D. Peter refused to work as a journalist for a local newspaper.
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the sentence that best combines each pair of sentences in the following questions.
Câu 46: Mã câu hỏi: 46270
He missed the opportunity to study abroad. He didn’t realize the importance of English.
- A. He hadn’t realized the importance of English until he missed the opportunity to study abroad.
- B. Had he missed the opportunity to study abroad, he wouldn’t have realized the importance of English.
- C. It was only after he realized the importance of English that he missed the opportunity to study abroad.
- D. Not until he realized the importance of English did he miss the opportunity to study abroad.
Câu 47: Mã câu hỏi: 46271
Julie had a training course in alternative medicine. She was able to help the man out of danger.
- A. Much as Julie had a training course in alternative medicine, she was able to help the man out of danger.
- B. Having trained in alternative medicine, Julie was able to help the man out of danger.
- C. But for a training course in alternative medicine, Julie could have helped the man out of danger.
- D. Despite training in alternative medicine, Julie was able to help the man out of danger.
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the underlined part that needs correction in each of the following questions.
Câu 48: Mã câu hỏi: 46273
Tom’s jokes are inappropriate but we have to put up with it just because he’s the boss.
- A. inappropriate
- B. it
- C. because
- D. the
Câu 49: Mã câu hỏi: 46274
There were inconsiderate amounts of money wasted on large building projects.
- A. inconsiderate
- B. amounts
- C. wasted
- D. building
Câu 50: Mã câu hỏi: 46275
As far as I’m concerned, it was the year 2007 that Vietnam joined the World Trade Organization.
- A. concerned
- B. the year 2007
- C. that
- D. the