Câu hỏi trắc nghiệm (50 câu):
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word whose underlined part differs from the other three in pronunciation in each of the following questions.
Câu 1: Mã câu hỏi: 46379
- A. voltage
- B. image
- C. sausage
- D. massage
Câu 2: Mã câu hỏi: 46380
- A. habitat
- B. barbecue
- C. calendar
- D. calculus
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word that differs from the other three in the position of the primary stress in each of the following questions.
Câu 3: Mã câu hỏi: 46381
- A. kindergarden
- B. spectacular
- C. cultivator
- D. category
Câu 4: Mã câu hỏi: 46382
- A. poacher
- B. Chinese
- C. tourist
- D. hacker
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to Indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
Câu 5: Mã câu hỏi: 46383
We found the exam extremely difficult. We ________ harder.
- A. must have studied
- B. can have studied
- C. should have studied
- D. needn't have studied
Câu 6: Mã câu hỏi: 46384
I was given this pedometer for my birthday. You just hook it on your belt and it ______ how far you walk during the day.
- A. measured
- B. is measuring
- C. has measured
- D. measures
Câu 7: Mã câu hỏi: 46385
______for charity is rewarding.
- A. Volunteers
- B. Volunteer
- C. Volunteering
- D. Volunteered
Câu 8: Mã câu hỏi: 46386
She was given the best treatment. ______ she died soon after.
- A. Even though
- B. because
- C. Despite this
- D. By contrast
Câu 9: Mã câu hỏi: 46387
They promised to repay the money within two months, ______?
- A. wouldn't they
- B. did they
- C. weren't they
- D. didn't they
Câu 10: Mã câu hỏi: 46388
Which of the following is not possible?
- A. Make your bed in the morning.
- B. Make a photo of the teacher and me!
- C. He didn’t make any friends for a long time.
- D. Oh no! I’ve made a mistake!
Câu 11: Mã câu hỏi: 46389
William Henry Gates, also ______as Bill Gates, is probably the richest man in America.
- A. knew
- B. knowing
- C. known
- D. knows
Câu 12: Mã câu hỏi: 46390
The young student acted as our ______ when we visited the museum.
- A. instructor
- B. guide
- C. coach
- D. leader
Câu 13: Mã câu hỏi: 46391
These shoes are very ______ for walking in the mountains.
- A. functional
- B. realistic
- C. active
- D. practical
Câu 14: Mã câu hỏi: 46392
Which of the following adjective – noun collocations is NOT possible?
- A. A strong exam
- B. A strong woman
- C. A strong cheese
- D. A strong cigarette
Câu 15: Mã câu hỏi: 46393
One of ______ Stephen Hawking, a legendary scientist, gave to his children was “Work gives you meaning and purpose, and life is empty without it.”
- A. advices
- B. the advices
- C. the pieces of advice
- D. an advice
Câu 16: Mã câu hỏi: 46394
When Jackie ______ to do something, you can be sure she'll get it done.
- A. sets out
- B. brings about
- C. takes up
- D. gets on
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word(s) CLOSEST in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
Câu 17: Mã câu hỏi: 46395
The doctor wanted to go over the test results with the patient.
- A. discuss in detail
- B. find by chance
- C. discover accidentally
- D. depress due to
Câu 18: Mã câu hỏi: 46396
Some scientists have argued that the purpose of the human appendix may have been to digest uncooked meat and bark, functions that are no longer useful.
- A. simulated
- B. perilous
- C. obsolete
- D. sluggish
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word(s) OPPOSITE in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
Câu 19: Mã câu hỏi: 46397
Child welfare deals with parents or caregivers who abuse or neglect their children.
- A. mistreat
- B. abandon
- C. give up
- D. nurture
Câu 20: Mã câu hỏi: 46398
After many months of grueling work and painful injuries to her shoulder and back, Susan realized that her dream of swimming the English Channel was unattainable.
- A. realistic
- B. confused
- C. impossible
- D. unachievable
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the sentence that best completes each of the following exchanges.
Câu 21: Mã câu hỏi: 46399
- “Are you ready to order?” - “______”
- A. It doesn’t matter at all?
- B. No one likes beer.
- C. What are the specials today?
- D. I am sorry to hear that
Câu 22: Mã câu hỏi: 46400
"Will the match take place in this weather?" " _____. In fact, I'm sure it won't."
- A. I think so
- B. I don't think so
- C. I guess so
- D. I hope no
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word or phrase that best fits each of the numbered blanks from 23 to 27.
Learning new words in a foreign language
Remembering words successfully is a chancy business, but over the last forty years psychologists have found three methods which consistently improve this important language learning skill. These are: creating a visual (23) image for the word you want to remember; forming word associations; and recalling the word by means of a story. (24) Research into attempts to remember lists of words has shown that these methods result in memory improvements of ten percent over simply reading words once.
Now, new studies have shown solid evidence for a fourth method which can be added to the other three; it's surprisingly simple. It only (25) involves saying the word you want to remember to yourself. It doesn't even seem to matter if you don't say the word aloud - it only has to be mouthed. Across eight experiments in which (26) participants were asked to read and remember lists of words, researchers found memory improvements sometimes in (27) excess of ten percent.
(Source: Grammar and Vocabulary for Advanced by Martin Hewings and Simon Haines-CUP 2015)
Câu 23: Mã câu hỏi: 46401
- A. impression
- B. photo
- C. copy
- D. image
Câu 24: Mã câu hỏi: 46402
- A. Enquiries
- B. Studies
- C. Research
- D. Questions
Câu 25: Mã câu hỏi: 46403
- A. includes
- B. needs
- C. involves
- D. implies
Câu 26: Mã câu hỏi: 46404
- A. participants
- B. applicants
- C. contestants
- D. contributors
Câu 27: Mã câu hỏi: 46405
- A. surplus
- B. excess
- C. addition
- D. extra
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions from 28 to 34.
Jenny half opened her eyes to stare at the glowing numbers of the clock radio on the bedside table. As it was still dark, she assumed that it was fairly early, but squinting at the clock she realised that it was nearly time for her to get up. She was irritated that the winter darkness had beguiled her into thinking she still had a few hours in bed.
As she turned over, she heard a noise from the other bedroom. The sound bore no relation to the images in the dreams she was leaving behind as she slowly woke up. Still half asleep, she realized it was the creak of a cupboard door. This was followed by footsteps padding around the room next to hers and then another creak. It was her father opening and closing his cupboard doors as he prepared for the day. He was always the first one up in the morning. She imagined that he would already have his tracksuit on and was picking up his trainers, about to put them on. The squeak of the bed as he sat down confirmed that.
Her father was predictable, she thought to herself fondly. The night before he had announced that he was going for his usual run by the lake, as he did every morning, no matter what the weather or what other people might want him to do instead. Jenny really admired the fact that he would stick to his plans, whatever obstacles were in his way. He'd do a few exercises to warm up on the terrace outside the house, and then he'd jog down the winding, tree-lined lane to the woods, where he would pick up speed before coming to the lake. He'd run twice around the lake, which at this time would inevitably be covered in mist, before coming home and having two boiled eggs for breakfast. But first of all, before even leaving the house, he'd have to find the woolly hat he always wore and fill his water bottle. This procedure would take a few minutes as he always threw his hat and bottle down on a chair in the kitchen when he came back, but he never remembered this the next morning and would therefore spend several grumpy minutes looking for them before he set off on his morning ritual.
Jenny heard her father go downstairs and waited for a few moments while she knew he would be filling his water bottle and fetching the back door key from a large hook. She then got out of bed, throwing on an old jumper that hung on the back of the door, in order to fend off the cold that enveloped the big old house at this time of year. She walked over to the window, and just at that moment, as she had anticipated; her father came out onto the terrace, stamping his feet to warm them up, and his water bottle in his hand. How reassuring this was, in a world which sometimes seemed so confusing!
Jenny's father did his stretching exercises and, after a few minutes, he set off at a jogging speed down the line of leafless birch trees. As usual at this time of year, his movements were the only sign of life on the country lane as he headed off towards the woods and ultimately the lake. Then Jenny noticed something different. It was the figure of a man, his grey jacket camouflaged by the trunks of the birch trees. Once her father had passed, the man melted out from behind the trees and started to follow him.
(Source: Grammar and Vocabulary for Advanced by Martin Hewings and Simon Haines-CUP 2015
Câu 28: Mã câu hỏi: 46406
What is meant by 'beguiled her' in the first paragraph?
- A. tempted her to wake up
- B. deceived her into a wrong conclusion
- C. attracted her immediate attention
- D. distracted her from the clock
Câu 29: Mã câu hỏi: 46407
What is suggested in the second paragraph about the noise Jenny heard?
- A. She could identify from it what was happening.
- B. She was unsure at first where it came from.
- C. She was annoyed because it had disturbed her sleep.
- D. She wondered if it meant she might still be dreaming.
Câu 30: Mã câu hỏi: 46408
What does 'that' refer to ______.
- A. the fact that her father had already got up
- B. what her father was going to do next
- C. the part of the house her father was in
- D. where her father had sat down
Câu 31: Mã câu hỏi: 46409
The word 'melted' in the last paragraph is used to emphasise the fact that the person in the trees ______.
- A. didn't realise they had been seen
- B. had been waiting there a long time
- C. had to hurry to keep up with Jenny's father
- D. didn't want to make any sudden movements
Câu 32: Mã câu hỏi: 46410
The passage is probably taken from _______.
- A. a medicine magazine
- B. a novel
- C. a text book
- D. a science fiction
Câu 33: Mã câu hỏi: 46411
How did Jenny feel about her father's behaviour?
- A. She respected the fact that he always did what he intended.
- B. She found it imitating that he forgot where he had put things
- C. She didn't understand why things never went wrong for him.
- D. She thought it might be good for him to vary his routine.
Câu 34: Mã câu hỏi: 46412
Jenny went to the window in order to ______.
- A. make sure her father had everything he needed
- B. see if the weather was suitable for her father to go running
- C. check that nothing unusual was happening outside
- D. confirm that her father was keeping to his usual habits
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions from 35 to 42..
Despite widespread assumptions to the contrary, there is no prescribed pathway for the development of a society, no single model on which development strategies should be based. The Western model of development, conceived linear process involving largely economic factors, is often incompatible with the complex social, cultural and political dimensions of societies pursuing different goals, reflecting their own values. The ideology of development has all too often tended to damage the social fabric and foundations- often rooted in traditions of communal solidarity- of the communities that have received “development aid”
Just as no development strategy can be said to be culturally neutral, a culturally sensitive approach to development is the key to addressing the interlinked social, economic and environmental problems confronting the planet as a whole. Cultural diversity - which emphasizes the dynamic interactions between cultures and sensitivity to cultural contexts - thus becomes a key lever for ensuring sustainable, holistic development strategies. While the international community, in its attempts to operationalize the concept of sustainable development over the last two decades, has begun to acknowledge the role of culture in the development process, the cultural factor has yet to be fully integrated into the development equation.
The 1987 Bruntland Report of the UN Commission on Environment and Development (UNCED), entitled our Common Future, was seminal in its assertion that genuine development must be sustainable - denoting a form of growth “that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs". At the 1992 Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro, sustainability was conceived in terms of the three pillars of economic viability, social responsiveness and respect for the environment. These pillars have since served as the basis for important standard-setting instruments, including the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) and the Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). The 2002 World Summit on Sustainable Development in Johannesburg went further by recognizing cultural diversity as a significant cross-cutting factor in sustainable development. Cultural diversity must be seen as a cross-cutting (rather than as a separate, fourth pillar of sustainability), with an important role to play in all development projects, from poverty eradication and the safeguarding of biodiversity to resource management and climate change.
(Source: http://unesdoc. unesco.org)
Câu 35: Mã câu hỏi: 46414
It is stated in the first paragraph that ______.
- A. there is no single model on which development strategies should be based
- B. the Western model of development has nothing to do the complex societie
- C. complex societies are equally concerned with traditions and communal solidarity
- D. the development of a society is dependent on its social, cultural and political dimensions
Câu 36: Mã câu hỏi: 46415
The word "rooted" in the first paragraph is closest in meaning to______.
- A. derived
- B. came
- C. originated
- D. established
Câu 37: Mã câu hỏi: 46416
Which of the following is true about cultural factor according to paragraph 2?
- A. It has nothing to do with sustainably economic development.
- B. It is the key to ensuring holistic development strategies.
- C. It has not been considered with respect to development at all.
- D. It has not been fully taken into account in development program.
Câu 38: Mã câu hỏi: 46417
The word "acknowledge" in paragraph 2 mostly means______.
- A. to be aware of the significance of
- B. to recognize the participation of
- C. to increase the value of
- D. to have clear understanding of
Câu 39: Mã câu hỏi: 46418
The word "its" in paragraph 2 refers to ______.
- A. development strategies
- B. international community's
- C. cultural contexts'
- D. key lever's
Câu 40: Mã câu hỏi: 46419
It is stated in paragraph 3 that ______.
- A. sustainable development does not only meet the needs of the present but also of future generations
- B. sustainable development refers to the ability of future generations to meet their own needs
- C. sustainable development can serve as an introduction to important standard-setting instruments
- D. sustainable development plays an important role in all development projects
Câu 41: Mã câu hỏi: 46420
Which of the following is true according to the passage?
- A. It was not until 2002 that cultural diversity was fully recognized.
- B. Cultural diversity has been recognized for its significant role in sustainability
- C. A development should be always designed basing on cultural diversity.
- D. Cultural diversity helps ensure the success of development strategies and projects.
Câu 42: Mã câu hỏi: 46421
Which of the following can be inferred from the passage?
- A. Cultural diversity has been a hindrance to sustainable development.
- B. Cultural diversity should serve as the key dimension of sustainable development.
- C. Cultural diversity sometimes gives strong foundation for sustainable development.
- D. Cultural diversity serves as a broad base dimension for sustainable development.
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the underlined part that needs correction in each of the following questions.
Câu 43: Mã câu hỏi: 46422
This evening it gives me a very great pleasure to welcome our new friends from Australia.
- A. gives me a
- B. great
- C. to welcome
- D. from
Câu 44: Mã câu hỏi: 46423
On the Sports Day, the students help their teachers to decorate the tents.
- A. the Sports
- B. the students
- C. their
- D. decorate the
Câu 45: Mã câu hỏi: 46424
To encourage students to say English, the headmaster would like to see each class perform a short sketch for English Activity Week.
- A. to say English
- B. like to see
- C. a short
- D. sketch for
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the sentence that is closest in meaning to each of the following questions.
Câu 46: Mã câu hỏi: 46425
I really regret that you haven’t told me about her family.
- A. If only you would tell me about her family.
- B. If only I didn’t regret that you hadn’t told me about her family.
- C. If only you had told me about her family.
- D. If only you hadn’t told me about her family.
Câu 47: Mã câu hỏi: 46426
I don’t think Max broke your vase because he wasn’t here then.
- A. Max wouldn’t have broken your vase because he wasn’t here then.
- B. Max was likely to break your vase because he wasn’t here then.
- C. Max can’t have broken your vase because he wasn’t here then.
- D. Max wasn’t able to break your vase because he wasn’t here then.
Câu 48: Mã câu hỏi: 46427
“I say again. This is the most important assignment of the semester”, the professor said.
- A. The professor confirmed that that was the most important assignment of the semester.
- B. The professor informed that that was the most important assignment of the semester.
- C. The professor threatened that that was the most important assignment of the semester.
- D. The professor replied that that was the most important assignment of the semester.
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the sentence that best combines each pair of sentences in the following questions.
Câu 49: Mã câu hỏi: 46428
There's no water left. I'm afraid.
- A. I'm afraid we have run out of water.
- B. I'm afraid we are running out water.
- C. Water is running out of, I am afraid.
- D. Only water is left, I am afraid.
Câu 50: Mã câu hỏi: 46429
Father has been working all day. He must be tired now.
- A. I'm sure that Father is tired after working all day.
- B. Father must work all day and tired now.
- C. I think Father was tired all day working.
- D. Father thinks he is tired now because he has been working all day.