Câu hỏi trắc nghiệm (50 câu):
Câu 1: Mã câu hỏi: 101867
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word whose underlined part differs from the other three in pronunciation in each of the following questions.
- A. passed
- B. stopped
- C. dialed
- D. watched
Câu 2: Mã câu hỏi: 101868
- A. tooth
- B. boot
- C. smooth
- D. look
Câu 3: Mã câu hỏi: 101870
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word that differs from the other three in the position of primary stress in each of the following questions.
- A. struggle
- B. answer
- C. confide
- D. comfort
Câu 4: Mã câu hỏi: 101871
- A. inflation
- B. maximum
- C. applicant
- D. character
Câu 5: Mã câu hỏi: 101872
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
I think everyone wants to make friends with John. He is _____ honest person.
- A. a
- B. an
- C. the
- D. no article
Câu 6: Mã câu hỏi: 101874
If I _______ to him, I wouldn’t have lost my way.
- A. would listen
- B. listened
- C. had listened
- D. would listened
Câu 7: Mã câu hỏi: 101875
I declined the offer as I _______ it was time for me to go for a swim in the sea.
- A. have decided
- B. decided
- C. had decided
- D. would decide
Câu 8: Mã câu hỏi: 101876
The use of computers aids in teaching, _______ the role of teachers is still very important.
- A. although
- B. yet
- C. so that
- D. because
Câu 9: Mã câu hỏi: 101877
Jane enjoyed the party, but as____________ Mark, he was simply bored
- A. for
- B. by
- C. about
- D. from
Câu 10: Mã câu hỏi: 101878
_______ of the shop, my friend came in.
- A. Coming out
- B. On coming out
- C. When coming
- D. As I came out
Câu 11: Mã câu hỏi: 101879
_______ in large quantities in the Middle East, oil became known as black gold because of the large profit it brought.
- A. That when discovered
- B. Discovered
- C. Discovering
- D. Which was discovered
Câu 12: Mã câu hỏi: 101880
We are considering _______ for the coming New Year.
- A. to have redecorated our flat
- B. having redecorate our flat
- C. to have our flat to be redecorated
- D. having our flat redecorated
Câu 13: Mã câu hỏi: 101881
Peter ______ opened the door of the room, wondering what he might find.
- A. cautious
- B. cautiously
- C. cautional
- D. cautionally
Câu 14: Mã câu hỏi: 101882
If it’s raining tomorrow, we shall have to ______ the match till Sunday.
- A. put off
- B. call off
- C. keep on
- D. carry out
Câu 15: Mã câu hỏi: 101904
If you ____ in behaving in this way, you will bring yourself nothing but trouble.
- A. persist
- B. continue
- C. decide
- D. react
Câu 16: Mã câu hỏi: 101910
During the boss’s____________his assistant took over.
- A. vanishing
- B. disappearance
- C. absence
- D. loss
Câu 17: Mã câu hỏi: 101912
Mai, Lan and Nga are 17, 19, 20 years old ________.
- A. separately
- B. respectively
- C. independently
- D. respectfully
Câu 18: Mã câu hỏi: 101913
There’s no _______ in going to school if you’re not willing to learn.
- A. reason
- B. point
- C. aim
- D. purpose
Câu 19: Mã câu hỏi: 101914
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word(s) CLOSEST in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
The tiny irrigation channels were everywhere and along some of them the water was running.
- A. flushing out with water
- B. washing out with water
- C. supplying water
- D. cleaning with water
Câu 20: Mã câu hỏi: 101916
He was asked to account for his presence at the scene of crime.
- A. complain
- B. exchange
- C. explain
- D. arrange
Câu 21: Mã câu hỏi: 101917
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word(s) OPPOSITE in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
Severe cutbacks in public spending have been announced.
- A. tolerant
- B. cautious
- C. serious
- D. minor
Câu 22: Mã câu hỏi: 101918
During the five-decade history, the Asian Games have been holding by in all aspects.
- A. join
- B. prevent
- C. maintain
- D. support
Câu 23: Mã câu hỏi: 101922
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the option that best completes each of the following exchanges.
“Thank you for taking the time to come here in person.” “ _______________”
- A. It’s my pleasure.
- B. I don’t know what time that person comes.
- C. I’d love to come. What time?
- D. Do you have time for some gossip?
Câu 24: Mã câu hỏi: 101924
“Why don’t we go to a baseball game?” “__________________”
- A. It’s good to play baseball.
- B. No, I don’t.
- C. I’d rather go to the art gallery.
- D. No, thanks. I’d like to sit here.
Câu 25: Mã câu hỏi: 101925
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct word or phrase that best fits each of the numbered blanks from 25 to 29.
When you first arrive in a foreign culture, often your first reaction is completely positive. Everything seems exciting, different and fascinating. It’s an (25) _____. If you are just on a short holiday, you will probably never leave this phase.
(26) _______, if you stay longer, your attitude can start to change. As you start to realize (27) _____ little you really understand the new culture, life can get frustrating. People misunderstand what you are trying to say, or they may laugh at you when you say something incorrectly. Even simple things, like posting a letter, can seem very difficult to you. Thus, you are likely to get angry or upset when things go wrong.
With time, though, you start to (28) ______ to become more comfortable with the differences and better able to handle frustrating situations. Your (29) _____ of humor reappears. Finally, you may feel enthusiastic about the culture once again, enjoy living in it, and even prefer certain aspects of the culture to your own. (Adapted from Navigate – Coursebook, OUP 2015)
- A. adventure
- B. adventurous
- C. adventurer
- D. adventurously
Câu 26: Mã câu hỏi: 101930
- A. Therefore
- B. Or
- C. However
- D. Nor
Câu 27: Mã câu hỏi: 101946
- A. whether
- B. how
- C. if
- D. what
Câu 28: Mã câu hỏi: 101947
- A. replace
- B. maintain
- C. adjust
- D. keep
Câu 29: Mã câu hỏi: 101948
- A. taste
- B. sense
- C. touch
- D. sound
Câu 30: Mã câu hỏi: 101949
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions from 30 to 34.
Ocean water plays an indispensable role in supporting life. The great ocean basins hold about 300 million cubic miles of water. From this vast amount, about 80,000 cubic miles of water are sucked into the atmosphere each year by evaporation and returned by precipitation and drainage to the ocean. More than 24,000 cubic miles of rain descend annually upon the continents. This vast amount is required to replenish the lakes and streams, springs and water tables on which all flora and fauna are dependent. Thus, the hydrosphere permits organic existence.
The hydrosphere has strange characteristics because water has properties unlike those of any other liquid. One anomaly is that water upon freezing expands by about 9 percent, whereas most liquids contract on cooling. For this reason, ice floats on water bodies instead of sinking to the bottom. If the ice sank, the hydrosphere would soon be frozen solidly, except for a thin layer of surface melt water during the summer season. Thus, all aquatic life would be destroyed and the interchange of warm and cold currents, which moderates climate, would be notably absent.
Another outstanding characteristic of water is that water has a heat capacity which is the highest of all liquids and solids except ammonia. This characteristic enables the oceans to absorb and store vast quantities of heat, thereby often preventing climatic extremes. In addition, water dissolves more substances than any other liquid. It is this characteristic which helps make oceans a great storehouse for minerals which have been washed down from the continents. In several areas of the world these minerals are being commercially exploited. Solar evaporation of salt is widely practised, potash is extracted from the Dead Sea, and magnesium is produced from sea water along the American Gulf Coast.
The author’s main purpose in this passage is to ___________.
- A. illustrate the importance of conserving water
- B. describe the properties and uses of water
- C. compare water with other liquids
- D. explain how water is used in commerce and industry
Câu 31: Mã câu hỏi: 101950
The phrase “this vast amount” in the first paragraph refers to ________ .
- A. 80,000 million cubic miles of water
- B. 24,000 cubic miles of rain
- C. 80,000 cubic miles of water
- D. 300 million cubic miles of water
Câu 32: Mã câu hỏi: 101951
The word “outstanding” in paragraph 3 is closest in meaning to _______ .
- A. exceptionally good
- B. special
- C. amusing
- D. important
Câu 33: Mã câu hỏi: 101952
According to the passage, fish can survive in the oceans because ________ .
- A. evaporation and condensation create a water cycle
- B. there are currents in the oceans
- C. they do not need oxygen
- D. ice floats
Câu 34: Mã câu hỏi: 101953
Which of the following is NOT mentioned as a characteristic of water?
- A. Water can absorb heat
- B. Water is good solvent
- C. Water contracts on cooling
- D. Water expands when it is frozen
Câu 35: Mã câu hỏi: 101954
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions from 35 to 42.
The development of genetically modified (GM) plants and animals had led to a huge global controversy. Opponents say that GM “Frankenfoods” are a threat to our well-being, and proponents say that the risks are minimal. There is one aspect of the war over GM that is often overlooked. Anyone who wears a cotton shirt these days is using a GM crop. Cotton is the only major non-food GM crop at present, but others are coming.
GM cotton plants that are not food have not stopped the most passionate GM opponents from objecting. If GM cotton is grown in a field next to fields of non- GM cotton, they argue, then how to keep genes from being transferred from field to field. This danger, however, is not as compelling to the public as possible health hazards in food, so there is no great fury over GM cotton.
GM cotton seeds produce higher yields, and they do without the need for pesticides. Planting of GM cotton has increased fivefold since 1997; three-quarter of cotton in America, and over half in China, is now GM. Farmers like it because it increases their profits.
Other options for non-food GM include new variety of flowers with different colors or scents, tougher grasses for lawns, and plants designed to soak up pollutants from the soil. The paper industry provides another example of potential for GM to help produce better and cheaper products. Paper is made from pulp, and pulp is generally made from trees. Researchers in New Zealand and Chile have been working on insect-resistant pines, and a Japanese firm has combined carrot genes with tree genes to make them grow better in poor soil.
Another interesting case is that of tobacco. It is not food crop, but it is consumed, and GM tobacco plants with both more and less nicotine have been created. The tobacco plant, however, is an ideal target for GM, since its genetics are very well understood and it produces a lot of leaves. The value of the drugs that could be produced by GM tobacco is so high, many fanners could switch from growing tobacco for cigarettes to growing it for medicine. Since medical cost is rising, consumers would also be happy to use drugs produced in bulk by GM tobacco.
What is the topic of the passage?
- A. Controversial GM products
- B. The hazards of GM products
- C. Non-food GM products
- D. GM cotton and tobacco
Câu 36: Mã câu hỏi: 101955
Why does the author mention a cotton shirt in the first paragraph?
- A. to show that cotton is one of the most popular materials for clothing
- B. to give an example of a common GM product that is not a food
- C. to give an example of a controversy surrounding GM products
- D. to show that the risk of GM products are minimal
Câu 37: Mã câu hỏi: 101956
The word “that” in the first paragraph refers to _________.
- A. war
- B. aspect
- C. GM
- D. risk
Câu 38: Mã câu hỏi: 101957
The word “compelling” in the second paragraph is closest in meaning to ______.
- A. interesting
- B. annoying
- C. dangerous
- D. obvious
Câu 39: Mã câu hỏi: 101958
Which options for non-food GM is NOT mentioned in the passage?
- A. flowers
- B. grass
- C. tobacco
- D. rubber
Câu 40: Mã câu hỏi: 101959
The word “ideal” in paragraph mostly means_________.
- A. good
- B. perfect
- C. wrong
- D. opinion
Câu 41: Mã câu hỏi: 101960
According to the passage, why are researchers developing GM trees?
- A. to improve or make paper less expensive
- B. to produce more fruit
- C. to find a way to make paper without pulp
- D. to replace trees cut down for paper
Câu 42: Mã câu hỏi: 101961
It can be inferred from the passage that GM tobacco _________.
- A. is already in the market
- B. produces drugs that are very expensive
- C. makes cigarettes harmless to smokers
- D. can have lower or higher levels of nicotine
Câu 43: Mã câu hỏi: 101962
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the underlined part that needs correction in each of the following questions.
The new technique calls (A) for heat (B) the mixture before applying it (C) to the wood. (D)
- A. calls
- B. heat
- C. applying it
- D. to the wood
Câu 44: Mã câu hỏi: 101965
Owing (A) to their superior skills, highly competitive (B) athletes have been known (C) to win contests and break records even when suffered (D) from injuries, physical disorders, and infections.
- A. Owing
- B. highly competitive
- C. have been known
- D. when suffered
Câu 45: Mã câu hỏi: 101967
It is time (A) the government helped (B) the unemployment (C) to find some (D) jobs.
- A. time
- B. helped
- C. unemployment
- D. some
Câu 46: Mã câu hỏi: 101970
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the sentence that is closest in meaning to each of the following questions.
People think that Alexander Fleming discovered penicillin in 1928.
- A. It was thought that Alexander Fleming discovered penicillin in 1928.
- B. Alexander Fleming was thought to have discovered penicillin in 1928.
- C. Penicillin is thought to have been discovered by Alexander Fleming in 1928.
- D. Alexander Fleming discovered penicillin in 1928 is thought.
Câu 47: Mã câu hỏi: 101971
“Would you like some coffee? ” Peter said.
- A. Peter asked me for some coffee.
- B. Peter offered giving me some coffee.
- C. Peter wanted to know if I would like to make coffee.
- D. Peter invited me some coffee.
Câu 48: Mã câu hỏi: 101973
Although Thomas received a warning for speeding, he still drove so fast.
- A. Thomas received a warning for speeding and he shouldn’t have driven so fast.
- B. Thomas received a warning for speeding and he couldn’t have driven so fast.
- C. Thomas received a warning for speeding and he should have driven so fast.
- D. Thomas received a warning for speeding and he might have driven so fast.
Câu 49: Mã câu hỏi: 101975
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the sentence that best combines each pair of sentences in the following questions.
He was successful because he was determined to pursue personal goals. He was not talented.
- A. It was his determination to pursue personal goals, not talent, that contributed to his success.
- B. His success lay in his natural ability, not in his determination to pursue personal goals.
- C. His determination to pursue personal goals made him successful and talented.
- D. In addition to his determination, his talent ensured his success in pursuing his goals.
Câu 50: Mã câu hỏi: 101977
Overeating is a cause of several deadly diseases. Physical inactivity is another cause of several deadly diseases.
- A. Apart from physical activities, eating too much also contributes to several deadly diseases.
- B. Not only overeating but also physical inactivity may lead to several deadly diseases.
- C. Both overeating and physical inactivity result from several deadly diseases.
- D. Overeating and physical inactivity are caused by several deadly diseases.