Câu hỏi trắc nghiệm (50 câu):
Câu 1: Mã câu hỏi: 84523
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct word or phrase that best fits each of the numbered blanks.
(1) _______ in technology have made a lot of changes to our everyday lifestyles, but one of the biggest has got to be how we read books. Since the invention of the e–book, there has been a significant change to our reading habits. Given the choice between taking a couple of heavy paperbacks on holiday or an e–book device like a Kindle, most of us, including our parents and grandparents, would unsurprisingly opt (2) _______ the Kindle.
But what would our lives be like with no books at all? It’s a (3) _______ question. Some educational specialists are making predictions that in the future we won’t even see books in classrooms – everything will be done online! (4) _______ of the idea of getting rid of books say that there will always be a need for paper–based versions of materials. However, to be realistic, we have to accept that there is a (5) _______ chance that in a decade’s time schools and classrooms will be book–free! What do you think of that?
- A. Progression
- B. Successes
- C. Increases
- D. Advances
Câu 2: Mã câu hỏi: 84524
- A. of
- B. on
- C. for
- D. at
Câu 3: Mã câu hỏi: 84626
- A. special
- B. naughty
- C. funny
- D. tricky
Câu 4: Mã câu hỏi: 84634
- A. Alternatives
- B. Contestants
- C. Opponents
- D. Enemies
Câu 5: Mã câu hỏi: 84636
- A. remote
- B. far
- C. long
- D. distant
Câu 6: Mã câu hỏi: 84637
Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the most suitable response to complete each of the following exchanges.
Peter and Mike are in the middle of their conversation.
Peter: “If only I hadn’t said that to her.”
- A. No, you’ve don’t a good job!
- B. No worry, that’s nothing.
- C. Ah, well, that’s life.
- D. Yes, you mustn’t have done that.
Câu 7: Mã câu hỏi: 84638
Son: “Why don’t we buy a new car, Dad? This one is too old to go out with my friends.”
Dad: “_______ We don’t have much money.”
- A. You’re right.
- B. I have to think it up.
- C. It’s out of the question now.
- D. That’s a great idea.
Câu 8: Mã câu hỏi: 84639
Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word(s) whose underlined part differs from the other three in pronunciation in each of the following questions.
- A. possession
- B. dissolve
- C. dessert
- D. pessimistic
Câu 9: Mã câu hỏi: 84640
- A. penalty
- B. expedition
- C. incredible
- D. determine
Câu 10: Mã câu hỏi: 84641
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
WHY DON’T YOU GET A PROPER JOB?
She wants to be a singer; you think she should go for a long–term career with job security and eventually retire with a good pension. But a new report suggests that in fact she’s the practical one. Why do parents make terrible careers advisers?
Today’s 14 and 15–year–olds are ambitious. They are optimistic about their prospects, but their career ideas are rather vague. Although 80% of them have no intention of following in their parents’ footsteps, 69% still turn to their parents for advice. They look at their working future in a different way to their parents.
A job for life is not in their vocabulary; neither is a dead–end but secure job that is boring but pays the bills. Almost half the boys surveyed expected that their hobbies would lead them into the right sort of job, while most girls seemed determined to avoid traditionally female careers such as nursing.
In the past, this might have counted as bad news. Certainly when I was 15, my guidance counsellors were horrified at my plans to become a writer. I’m glad I didn’t change my plans to suit them. Even so, their faith in rigid career paths was well–founded. In those days, that was the way to get ahead.
But the world has changed. The global economy is not kind to yesterday’s diligent and dependable worker. The future belongs to quick–thinking people who are resourceful, ambitious and can take the initiative. This means that a 14–year–old who sees her working future as a kind of adventure, to be made up as she goes along is not necessarily being unrealistic.
However, she has to have the training and guidance to help her develop the right skills for today’s market; not the rigid preparation for a workplace that disappeared twenty years ago. Many young people are very aware of the pitfalls of the flexible workplace; they understand that redundancy, downsizing and freelancing are all part of modern working life, but no one is telling them how they might be able to turn the new rules of the employment game to their advantage. This is what they need to know if they are to make a life for themselves.
So what is to be done? A good first step would be to change the way in which schools prepare young people for adult life. The education system is becoming less flexible and more obsessed with traditional skills at just the time that the employment market is going in the opposite direction.
Accurate, up–to–date information on new jobs and qualifications can help guidance counsellors to help their students. Young people need solid information on the sort of training they need to pursue the career of their dreams. Also, a little bit of encouragement can go a long way. If nothing else, a bit of optimism from an adult can serve as an antidote to the constant criticism of teenagers in the press.
What, then, can we as parents do to help them? The best thing is to forget all the advice that your parents gave you, and step into your teenager’s shoes. Once you’ve done that, it’s easier to see how important it is that they learn how to be independent, resourceful and resilient. Give them the courage to follow their dreams –however odd they might sound right now. In a world that offers economic security to almost no one, imagination is a terrible thing to waste.
What is the writer’s attitude to the changing job market?
- A. It is a challenge that must be faced.
- B. It had made too many people unemployed.
- C. It is something that young people are afraid of.
- D. It has had a negative effect on education.
Câu 11: Mã câu hỏi: 84642
How does the writer think the global economy has affected the employment market?
- A. Workers have to be willing to change jobs.
- B. Workers are unlikely to receive a pension.
- C. It has made workers less dependable.
- D. It has made work more adventurous.
Câu 12: Mã câu hỏi: 84643
The writer uses the phrase “aware of the pitfalls” to show that young people _______.
- A. feel that modern jobs are too flexible
- B. know about the problems of modern jobs
- C. don’t think they get enough training
- D. accept that they will be made redundant
Câu 13: Mã câu hỏi: 84644
What kind of employment would teenagers like to have?
- A. A job similar to their parents.
- B. A job that gives them fulfillment.
- C. A job that can also be a hobby.
- D. A job with economic security.
Câu 14: Mã câu hỏi: 84645
The writer feels that most parents _______.
- A. give their children good career advice
- B. do not tend to be particularly ambitious
- C. have very traditional views about work
- D. have realistic goals for their children
Câu 15: Mã câu hỏi: 84646
How can parents help their children?
- A. By trying to think the way they do
- B. By learning to be courageous
- C. By ignoring advice given by others
- D. By becoming more independent
Câu 16: Mã câu hỏi: 84647
What does the writer believe about her guidance counsellors?
- A. That they should have treated her better.
- B. That the advice they gave was wrong.
- C. That they were in some ways right.
- D. That they had tried to ruin her career.
Câu 17: Mã câu hỏi: 84740
What does the writer feel will happen if the education system does not change?
- A. Young people will be discouraged from working.
- B. Young people will receive mover criticism in the press.
- C. Young people will be unable to fulfill their potential.
- D. Young people will not be optimistic about their future.
Câu 18: Mã câu hỏi: 84741
Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word(s) CLOSEST in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
Flats which are both comfortable and reasonably priced are few and far between in the current context of economic crisis.
- A. uncommon
- B. unusual
- C. non-standard
- D. non-existent
Câu 19: Mã câu hỏi: 84742
Gerry didn’t go on the expedition – he made up that part of the story.
- A. invented
- B. narrated
- C. unfolded
- D. recounted
Câu 20: Mã câu hỏi: 84743
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
It is not surprising that the birthplace of cola was the hot and humid American South. This region had long specialized in creating delicious soft drinks. A druggist in Atlanta, Georgia named John Pemberton created the most well–known drink brand in the world in the 1880s. However, it seems clear that he had no idea how big it would become.
Like many American pharmacists of the day, Pemberton was opposed to the drinking of alcohol and wanted to produce a stimulating soft drink. First, he made "the French Wine of Coca," made from the coca leaf. Then he began to experiment with the cola nut. Eventually, he managed to make a combination of the two that he thought was sweet, but not too sweet. Deciding that "the two C's would look well in advertising," he named it Coca–Cola.
Pemberton's invention caught on fairly quickly. By 1905, "Coke" was being advertised all over the country as "The Great Natural Temperance Drink." The drink enjoyed additional success since there was a large and popular temperance movement in the US at that time. In the 1920s, alcohol was outlawed, and sales of Coke rose significantly. However, they continued to rise even after the law was repeated.
Another reason for Coke's popularity was good business sense. A year after he invented it, Pemberton had sold Coca–Cola to Asa Griggs Candler for only $283.26! Candler was a marketing genius, and by the time he sold the Coca–Cola Company in1919, it was worth $25 million.
Which of the following would be the best title for the reading?
- A. The Invention and History of Coca–Cola
- B. Cola is the World’s Most Popular Soft Drink
- C. The Temperance Movement and Coke’s success
- D. John Pemberton created Coca–Cola.
Câu 21: Mã câu hỏi: 84744
In paragraph 3, the word “outlawed” is closest in meaning to _______.
- A. made legal
- B. taken to court
- C. made illegal
- D. allowed
Câu 22: Mã câu hỏi: 84745
All of the followings are true of Pemberton EXCEPT that _______.
- A. he made “French wine of Coca” from the coca leaf
- B. he combined the coca leaf and cola nut to make “French wine”
- C. he produced stimulating alcohol from coca leaves and cola nuts
- D. he made “French wine of Coca” from the cola nut
Câu 23: Mã câu hỏi: 84746
In paragraph 3, the word “caught on” is closest in meaning to _______.
- A. became popular
- B. became successful
- C. became important
- D. became legal
Câu 24: Mã câu hỏi: 84747
Which of the following is responsible for Coke’s additional success?
- A. The temperance movement
- B. Its attracting name
- C. Pemberton’s good business sense
- D. Coca–Cola’s great taste
Câu 25: Mã câu hỏi: 84748
Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the underlined part that needs correction in each of the following questions.
Physics and mental exercise has been found to be beneficial to our brains, but scientists have now found it could also improve the learning ability of our children.
- A. learning ability
- B. has been
- C. it
- D. Physics
Câu 26: Mã câu hỏi: 84749
Peacocks are among the most exotic birds in nature; its long tail feathers fan out to reveal a profusion of vivid colors.
- A. fan out
- B. its
- C. most exotic
- D. among
Câu 27: Mã câu hỏi: 84750
It is the job interview that you should be prepared to mention a salary range.
- A. salary range
- B. to mention
- C. should be
- D. the job interview
Câu 28: Mã câu hỏi: 84751
Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the sentences that combines each pair of sentences in the following questions.
He was overconfident. Therefore, he ruined our plan completely.
- A. It was because his overconfidence that ruined our plan completely.
- B. He was overconfident, which ruined our plan completely.
- C. That he was overconfidence ruined our plan completely.
- D. It was his overconfidence ruined our plan completely.
Câu 29: Mã câu hỏi: 84752
It was a kind of accident. Nobody was really to blame for it.
- A. It was a kind of accident, which nobody was really to blame for.
- B. It was a kind of accident for whom was really to blame it.
- C. It was a kind of accident for which nobody was really to blame it.
- D. It was a kind of accident for which nobody was really to blame.
Câu 30: Mã câu hỏi: 84753
The 2022 FIFA World Cup is an important competition in international football. Almost everyone around the world is looking forward to it.
- A. The 2022 FIFA World Cup is so important a competition in international football that almost everyone around the world is looking forward to it.
- B. The 2022 FIFA World Cup is too important a competition in international football that almost everyone around the world to look forward to it.
- C. So important is the 2022 FIFA World Cup competition in international football that almost everyone around the world is looking forward to.
- D. The 2022 FIFA World Cup is such important competition in international football that almost everyone around the world is looking forward to it.
Câu 31: Mã câu hỏi: 84754
Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the sentence that is closest in meaning to each of the following questions.
You should have persuaded him to change his mind.
- A. You didn’t persuade him to change because of his mind.
- B. It was essential to persuade him to change his mind but you didn’t.
- C. You persuaded him to change his mind but he didn’t listen.
- D. You should persuade him to change his mind.
Câu 32: Mã câu hỏi: 84755
The likelihood of suffering a heart attack rises as one becomes increasingly obese.
- A. Heart attacks are happening more and more often, and most of the sufferers are obese.
- B. Obesity results in only a slight increase in the probability of having a heart attack.
- C. The more obese one is, the higher the chances for a heart attack become.
- D. Anyone who is obese is likely to experience a heart attack at any time.
Câu 33: Mã câu hỏi: 84756
Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word that differs from the other three in the position of primary stress in each of the following questions.
- A. wilderness
- B. commitment
- C. compliment
- D. optimism
Câu 34: Mã câu hỏi: 84757
- A. require
- B. confide
- C. swallow
- D. eject
Câu 35: Mã câu hỏi: 84758
Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
The eyewitness said that she had seen _______ the scene of the crime.
- A. leaving a tall man
- B. a tall man to leave
- C. a tall man leaving
- D. leave a tall man
Câu 36: Mã câu hỏi: 84759
_______ of the tennis players served well in the singles final.
- A. Either
- B. Any
- C. Neither
- D. None
Câu 37: Mã câu hỏi: 84760
It was an amazing victory as it was only the second time _______ in a marathon.
- A. she had competed
- B. for her to compete
- C. she competes
- D. of competing
Câu 38: Mã câu hỏi: 84761
Our firm is so successful because it is at the cutting _______ of computer technology.
- A. fringe
- B. limit
- C. verge
- D. edge
Câu 39: Mã câu hỏi: 84762
“I think I can find the information on my own.” – “______ any help, just call me.”
- A. Should you need
- B. Had you needed
- C. Were you to need
- D. In case of you need
Câu 40: Mã câu hỏi: 84763
What will happen when the world _______ oil?
- A. makes off with
- B. runs out of
- C. loses out on
- D. goes through with
Câu 41: Mã câu hỏi: 84764
I would suggest _______ to your doctor before you diet.
- A. you to speak
- B. that you speaking
- C. you speak
- D. to speak
Câu 42: Mã câu hỏi: 84765
Mum was angry because I went out when I _______.
- A. should have been studying
- B. needn’t have studied
- C. must study
- D. didn’t need to study
Câu 43: Mã câu hỏi: 84766
We had a(n) ________ opportunity to train with the best coach.
- A. unique
- B. once
- C. only
- D. lone
Câu 44: Mã câu hỏi: 84767
If you are interested in applying for the vacancy, send in your _______.
- A. mortgage
- B. paperback
- C. notice
- D. résumé
Câu 45: Mã câu hỏi: 84768
The plane left on time so we _______ long.
- A. didn’t need to wait
- B. needn’t have waited
- C. mustn’t have waited
- D. shouldn’t have waited
Câu 46: Mã câu hỏi: 84769
Susan will graduate in June _______ she submits her dissertation on time.
- A. otherwise
- B. unless
- C. supposing
- D. provided
Câu 47: Mã câu hỏi: 84770
Jane is a sympathetic listener. She lent me a(n) _______ when I lost my job.
- A. eye
- B. ear
- C. mouth
- D. mind
Câu 48: Mã câu hỏi: 84771
_______ school fees may discourage many students from attending university.
- A. Raising
- B. Improving
- C. Gaining
- D. Receiving
Câu 49: Mã câu hỏi: 84772
Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word(s) OPPOSITE in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
They haven’t reached agreement on the official songs of the 27th Sea Games.
- A. formal
- B. uncertified
- C. informal
- D. approved
Câu 50: Mã câu hỏi: 84773
Sorry, I can’t come to your party. I am snowed under with work at the moment.
- A. busy with
- B. fond of
- C. free from
- D. relaxed about