Exercise 3: Read the passage carefully and choose the correct answer.
The advent of the Internet may be one of the most important technological developments in recent years. Never before have so many people had access to so many different sources of information. For all of the
Internet's advantages, however, people are currently becoming aware of some of its drawbacks and are looking for creative solutions. Among the current problems, which include a general lack of reliability and numerous security concerns, the most crucial is speed.
First of all, the Internet has grown very quickly. In 1990, only a few academics had ever heard of the Internet. In 1996, over 50 million people used it. Every year, the number of people with access to the Internet doubles. The rapid growth has been a problem. The computer systems which run the Internet have not been able to keep up with the demand. Also, sometimes a request for information most pass through many routing computers before the information can be obtained. A request for information made in Paris 'might have to go through computers in New York, Los Angeles and Tokyo in order to obtain the required information.
Consequently, service is often slow and unpredictable. Service also tends to be worse when the Internet is busiest - during the business day of the Western Hemisphere - whi.ch is also when companies need its service the most.
Some people are trying to harness the power of networked computers in such a way as to avoid .this problem. In 1995, a group of American universities banded together to form what has come to be known as Internet II. Internet II is a smaller, more specialized system intended for academic use. Since it is more specialized, fewer users are allowed access. Consequently, the time required to receive information has decreased.
Businesses are beginning to explore a possible analogue to the Internet II. Many businesses are creating their own "Intranets". These are systems that can only be used by the members of the same company. In theory, fewer users should translate into a faster system. Intranets are very useful for large national and international companies whose branches need to share information. Another benefit of an Intranet is an increased amount of security. Since only company employees have access to the information on the Intranet, their information is protected from competitors. While there is little doubt that the Internet will eventually be a fast reliable service, industry and the academic community have taken their own steps toward making more practical global networks.Câu hỏi:
According the passage, which of the following is true of the Internet?
- A. It tends to be unreliable.
- B. It has created a sense of financial security.
- C. It is too expensive to access.
- D. It has become increasingly less popular.
Lời giải tham khảo:
Đáp án đúng: AADSENSE
Câu hỏi này thuộc đề thi trắc nghiệm dưới đây, bấm vào Bắt đầu thi để làm toàn bài
Hướng dẫn Trắc nghiệm Online và Tích lũy điểm thưởng
CÂU HỎI KHÁC
- Bahrain's ______ closed up 10.09 points today at 2160.09
- The student failed to meet the necessary ______ for admission to the course
- Come and see me when you ______ your report
- ______ my great surprise, almost everyone agreed - him
- By cutting down trees we ______ the natural habitat of birds and animals.
- The doctor has advised ______ less coffee.
- The High Street is so narrow that the council have decided to ______ it
- I'm very glad to hear that you share my ______ in Spanish music
- The government proposes to increase the ______ on tobacco.
- When I was a boy we had no ______ in this village
- Ann could not speak Chinese and ______ could John.
- Not only my son but also I ______ tired from walking so far.
- 'Which of these two men is Chinese?' ' ______ is'
- The committee ______ among themselves for hours
- ______ he hasn't any formal qualifications, he has managed to do very well for himself
- According the passage, which of the following is true of the Internet?
- According to the passage, which of the following statements was true in 1970?
- According to the author, what is one reason why the Internet is sometimes slow?
- According to the passage, what benefits does Internet II have over the Internet?
- With which of the following conclusions would the author probably agree?
- If we had lost the map, we would never found our way
- I am sorry I didn't finish my homework last night
- They were so surprised by the news that they didn't know what to do
- It was in the year 1792 ______
- Jacob Lawrence is considered by many critics ______